Cheap Insurance Arizona
Driving in Arizona: Statewide Stats
There are over 5.1 million registered automobiles in Arizona (as of 2012), and the average 12-month auto insurance policy was $1,222 as of December of 2013, which is good news for consumers. The lower average cost is a result of the number of options for cheap insurance Arizona residents have at their disposal.
There are a number of ways Arizona has been able to keep rates low, including making Uninsured Motorist Coverage mandatory, and fighting vehicle-related crime. For example, the establishment of the Arizona Vehicle Theft Task Force has successfully recovered over 30,000 vehicles with a value of $323 million for its citizens. This helps keep rates low for Comprehensive coverage in particular.
The number of licensed drivers in the state reached almost 4.7 million as of 2012.
There were over 104,000 automobile crashes in Arizona during 2011; the peak day for crashes was Friday, and the peak time for crashes is between 5 and 6pm.
Despite the state’s auto insurance requirements, around 12% of drivers are still uninsured, which is one of the largest contributing factors to insurance costs.
State Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily Injury Coverage with a minimum of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.
- Property Damage Liability Coverage at a minimum of $10,000
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage of at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.
- Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage at a minimum of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.
Did you know?
- Long before cars and trucks, camels were the preferred method of transporting goods across Arizona.
- About 1/4th of state land is made up of Indian Reservations.
- The state government is the largest employer. The largest private employer is Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- It is illegal to hunt camels (probably due to their historical use as pack animals)
- It is illegal to refuse a person a glass of water.
- If you cut down a cactus in the state you could face up to 25 years in prison!
The Arizona Department of Transportation handles most auto-related matters. Their website
can be found here.
The Arizona Department of Transportation handles vehicle registration. In addition to a $4 title
fee, $8 registration fee and $1.50 air quality research fee, Arizona vehicle owners are required
to pay a Vehicle License Tax in place of the more common property tax system used in other
There are over 30,000 DUI arrests in Arizona each year, and in 2012 there were 227 drunk driving fatalities, resulting in a taxpayer subsidy of $1.1 billion.
First-time offenders can face the following penalties:
- Minimum 24 hours in jail (up to 10 days).
- Minimum $250 fine.
- License suspension between 90 to 360 days.
- Installation of an ignition interlock device (since this law went into effect, drunk driving deaths have decreased by 46%)
- More information on DUI law can be found here.
The Bottom Line
Arizona’s auto insurance costs are about average. Most of the heavy traffic is centered around the major urban areas, such as Phoenix. Much of the state is still rural, but between 1991 and 2001 the population grew by 45%! The continued growth has put an enormous stress on the state’s water supply, but the state is taking strides to reduce that strain to ensure Arizona’s future growth.
If you are a resident of “The Copper State,” or a recent arrival, and find yourself in need of auto insurance, give us a call! A licensed agent can review your policy, guide you through the process, and guarantee that you are paying the lowest possible rate. Or, if you prefer local help, find your city on the list below!
We Have Your Town Covered!
Have questions about auto insurance in your state? Want a quote for car insurance?
Start with your zipcode for a fast, free quote.
OR speak to an agent:
Local Arizona agencies we can beat in price.
15027 W Bell Rd Ste 150
Surprise, AZ 85374
742 E Glendale Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85020
10214 N Tatum Blvd Ste A1500
Phoenix, AZ 85028
1930 S Alma School Rd Ste C108
Mesa, AZ 85210
2432 W Peoria Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85029