Are you new to Michigan? Or maybe you’re a new driver? In any case, Cheap Insurance is here and ready to help you navigate finding the best cheap car insurance for your needs. No need to break the bank when you’re insuring your vehicle. Get your free quote today.
Quick Michigan Car Insurance Facts
Before you start shopping for car insurance coverage in Michigan, it’s important to know a few facts about driving in the Great Lakes State. Here’s what you should know:
- Michigan has more than 7.2 million licensed drivers, and more than 1.5 million of those drivers are age 65 or older.
- The state requires drivers to carry a minimum of $50,000 bodily injury liability coverage for a person hurt or killed in an accident.
- Drivers must carry up to $40,000 coverage for each accident if several people are hurt or killed.
- Drivers must carry up to $10,000 in property damage coverage in another state.
- Drivers in Michigan pay an average of $2,535 per year for car insurance—some of the highest rates in the nation.
Minimum Michigan Car Insurance Coverage
The state of Michigan has a 20/40/10 law, which requires drivers to carry minimum car insurance coverage with at least the following limits:
Bodily injury: $20,000 for the death or injury of one other person
Bodily injury: $40,000 total for the death or injury of all affected people
Property damage: $10,000 for property damage in another state
Getting Cheap Car Insurance In Michigan
Though Michigan may have high car insurance premiums on average, it’s still possible to find affordable coverage. Here are some tips to help you find the right car insurance provider for your needs:
- Get a quote: Ask for quotes from several insurance providers before deciding on the best option for you.
- Increase your deductible: High-deductible plans usually include a lower monthly premium.
- Be a defensive driver: Stay on defense and maintain a good driving record to keep insurance costs low.
- Michigan insurance programs: Find out if you’re eligible for the state’s discounted car insurance programs.
Michigan Car Insurance Discounts
If you’re a good driver or get good grades in school, you may qualify for cheap car insurance in Michigan. Here are some discounts that may be available:
Good Driver: Michigan drivers who avoid accidents and traffic violations may get cheaper car insurance.
Good Student: Are you a teen or young adult with good grades? If so, you might qualify for discounted insurance.
What is the average car insurance cost in Michigan?
Car insurance in Michigan costs an average of $2,535 per year.
How much is car insurance per month in Michigan?
Monthly rates for car insurance in Michigan come out to about $211.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Michigan?
Driving without insurance in Michigan could result in a fine of up to $500, jail time, and suspension of driver’s license and license plates.
What is driving like in Michigan?
There are more than 4,800 crashes annually in several counties, including Saginaw, Ottawa, and Washtenaw. Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties are the top counties for crashes, according to 2020 data. Michigan has one of the highest percentages of uninsured drivers in the nation—25.5%.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in Michigan?
Save money on car insurance by asking your car insurance provider about the following discounts:
- Discounts for insuring more than one car
- Discounts for teens, good grades, good driving, or mature drivers
- Discounts for having airbags, anti-theft devices, or other features
- Discounts for payment installment plans
- Discounts for high-deductible plans
Other Types of Coverage
What if minimum coverage doesn’t work best for your situation? Here are some other popular types of coverage that you may like to look into:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Additional kinds of coverage
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and road service
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance
Cities We Cover In Michigan
Cheap car insurance in Michigan is easier to find than you may think. Head to the following cities to shop for affordable coverage:
Enter your Zip Code and get a
FREE QUOTE TODAY!