Whether you have recently moved to Florida or have been living in the Sunshine State for quite some time, having car insurance is a must to get around. If you’re looking for cheap car insurance that covers all the basics and more, it’s best to have options—get a free quote with Cheap Insurance today.
Quick Florida Car Insurance Facts
- The average cost of car insurance in Florida is $1,185 each year.
- State-mandated car insurance requirements include personal injury protection and property damage liability.
- Florida is among the few no-fault states and one of two not requiring coverage for the other party’s bodily injuries.
- Around 20% of the state’s drivers have no car insurance.
Minimum Florida Car Insurance Coverage
Florida has one of the most straightforward mandatory auto insurance laws. Drivers are required to carry at least the following car insurance coverage:
- Personal Injury Protection: $10,000 to cover 80% of your accident-related medical expenses and 60% of lost wages, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Property Damage Liability: $10,000 for property damage caused by you or the person driving your insured vehicle.
Getting Cheap Car Insurance in Florida
Finding affordable car insurance in Florida is easier than you might think. Here are some tips to help you get excellent coverage that won’t break the bank:
- Start with the Minimum: Having PIP and PDL is often enough, especially if you’re a seasoned driver.
- Compare Car Insurance Providers: Shop around to see which insurer offers the best rate for the same coverage.
- Be a Defensive Driver: Do your best to avoid accidents—a clean driving history lets you save on premiums.
- Know What Discounts You Qualify For: Florida insurers usually offer discounts, so ask about these and see if you’re eligible for any.
Florida Car Insurance Discounts
Florida doesn’t have state-mandated discounts. However, ask insurers about their programs, and they’ll give you several options for saving on premiums.
What is the average car insurance cost in Florida?
For basic coverage on your auto insurance, expect to pay about $1,185 per year. Except to pay as much as twice that for full coverage.
How much is car insurance per month in Florida?
The average monthly payment for car insurance amounts to around $98 for the average driver.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Florida?
It is illegal to drive without insurance in Florida. If you’re caught without it, your driving privileges and license plate may be suspended for up to three years.
You’ll have to pay a $150 reinstatement fee on the first offense and provide proof of your current insurance policy; otherwise, you lose driving privileges. Moreover, fines increase on subsequent violations to as much as $500.
What is driving like in Florida?
Roadways in the Sunshine State are generally busy because of Florida’s large population and popularity as a tourist spot. It’s not surprising that car accidents are pretty high. In 2019, there were a total of 401,867 crashes, with approximately 1,101 incidents per day.
Despite strict state laws on car insurance,one in five Florida drivers on the road has no coverage. The ratio is one of the country’s highest, putting you at risk against uninsured motorists.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in Florida?
Below are some cost-saving tips for your policy:
- Ask About Driver Discounts: Drivers with clean records, finished a safety driving course with at least a B average or agreed to have their driving monitored qualify for discounts.
- Bundle with Other Policies: Insure multiple vehicles or get another policy type from the same insurance carrier to lower premiums.
- Discover Possible Vehicle Discounts: A vehicle with anti-theft systems and advanced safety features will net you up to 30% in discounts.
- Raise Deductibles: Pay lower premiums when you request a higher deductible, or the portion you’ll pay out of pocket before your comprehensive or collision coverage kicks in.
- Adjust Billing and Payment Arrangements: Save more when you settle in full, set up automatic payments or paperless billing, or pay online.
Who has the cheapest car insurance in Florida?
Year after year, cheap car insurance for Florida drivers is hard to come by unless you go online. Cheap insurance in Florida is tough to find because of the state’s harsh storm season, many uninsured or underinsured motorists, and a large elder population most insurers regard as risky.
Car insurance costs tend to be lower for drivers in their 30s, 40s, and early 50s. Female drivers in Florida usually pay slightly less than male drivers. Your insurer might offer you discount car insurance in Florida if you have a spotless driving record and get your car maintained regularly.
Which county in Florida has the least expensive auto insurance?
On the hunt for cheap insurance, Florida drivers are often stunned to learn their state is one of the priciest. Cheap car insurance quotes Florida drivers want may be harder to find depending on where they live.
Counties like Miami-Dade and Broward have some of the highest rates due to traffic congestion and sometimes dangerous highways. Some stretches of Florida’s roads are notorious for fatal accidents.
Although affluent counties tend to have lower auto insurance rates nationwide, this is not always the case in Florida. Inland counties like Highlands and Hardee may offer cheap car insurance compared to metro areas.
Why is Florida car insurance so expensive?
Florida car insurance is some of the most expensive in the United States—often the most expensive. The cheap insurance Florida drivers want may be out of reach depending on their driving record or even where they live.
Car insurance in Florida is very expensive for several reasons. The state has a high population and many older drivers, who insurers consider risky. Plus, experts estimate that millions of Florida adults choose to drive without insurance.
Uncovering cheap car insurance quotes Florida locals can use is easier to do when you go online. This lets you compare quotes from many companies faster.
Who has the best car insurance rates in Florida?
The Sunshine State may have some of the best winter weather in the country, but Florida ranks dead last when it comes to the best car insurance quotes. Although figures vary from year to year, Florida often has the most expensive car insurance. Getting cheap insurance in Florida can be a challenge.
Since so many brands claim to offer the best and most affordable car insurance in Florida, the easiest way to get cheap auto insurance in Florida is to compare quotes online. This gets you the best insurance available right now. It also saves you time searching.
Other Types of Coverage
In addition to PIP and PDL, below are some additional types of coverage you may want to consider:
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM): Covers the damages you and your passengers sustain when an uninsured or underinsured motorist hits you or your vehicle.
- Medical Payments Coverage: Pays for car accident-related medical expenses for you, your relatives, and passengers beyond the PIP coverage.
- Physical Damage Coverage: Includes collision and comprehensive insurance, wherein the insurer pays for repairs or replacement when your vehicle gets damaged in an accident or due to other reasons.
- Bodily Injury Liability: Covers the other party’s injury-related expenses in an accident caused by you or family members living with you. It pays for legal expenses when you’re sued for personal injury.
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and Road Service: Covers emergency towing and roadside repairs.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: Pays for rental car cost or transportation expenses during vehicle repairs.
- Gap Insurance: Covers the difference between your vehicle’s market value and the amount owed when it gets totaled or badly damaged during an accident.
Cities We Cover in Florida
Finding cheap car insurance in Florida is simpler than you think.
Enter your Zip Code and get a
FREE QUOTE TODAY!