New York is an exciting state. There’s so much to explore, especially in New York City and other larger cities. The nice thing about the city is that there are plenty of public transit options, so owning a vehicle is not a necessity.
However, if you live in the outskirts, owning a car might be a more convenient option. If you do own a vehicle, you’ll want to look into cheap car insurance.
It can be challenging to find car insurance coverage that fits your needs. Stop wasting time calling and researching car insurance providers. Save time by getting a free quote with Cheap Insurance.
Quick New York Car Insurance Facts
- New York City has a minimum coverage requirement known as the 25/50/10 rule.
- The average cost of full auto insurance coverage in New York is $2,321 per year.
- The cost of minimum coverage is roughly $1,062 per year.
- Car insurance coverage in New York is expensive because it’s a no-fault state.
- Approximately 5% of New York drivers are uninsured.
- The top five vehicles owned in New York City are Honda Accord EX/LX, Acura ILX 20, Acura MDX, BMW 328i, and Honda Civic EX/DX.
- New York City ranks 116th out of 200 cities in terms of safe driving.
Minimum New York Car Insurance Coverage
Information about car insurance coverage requirements in New York can be found on the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles website.
New York requires minimum insurance for bodily injury and property damage liability. Drivers are required to carry at least the following auto insurance coverages:
Property damage: $10,000 coverage for a single accident
Bodily injury/death: $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for death for one person, $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for death for two or more people
Getting Cheap Car Insurance In New York
Getting cheap car insurance in New York can be easier than you might think. Here are some tips and tricks to finding great car insurance that won’t break your budget:
- Compare lots of insurance firms. Rates can vary widely from one company to another. Sites such as Cheap Insurance can quickly compare hundreds of companies, saving you time.
- Be a defensive driver. Many car insurance providers offer good driver discounts. If you have no accidents, speeding tickets, or DUIs, you may qualify for a rate reduction. You may also be able to save if you take a defensive driving course.
- Bundle your insurance. Besides auto insurance, you may also need renters, homeowners, or life insurance. Ask your car insurance provider about getting these other types of insurance, and you will likely get a discount.
New York Car Insurance Discounts
While New York car insurance coverage can be pricey, there are a few additional discounts available. Request a quote to see if you qualify!
Good Driver: If you have a clean driving history with no claims, you can save 10–30%.
Good Student: Young drivers with at least a B average can save 5–20%.
Driver Education: State law requires that insurance companies offer a minimum 10% discount for three years following the completion of a New York Defensive Driving Course.
Safety Features: Drivers of vehicles with airbags, anti-lock brakes, and anti-theft devices can save up to 30%.
What is the average car insurance cost in New York?
The average cost for car insurance coverage in New York is $2,321 per year.
How much is car insurance per month in New York?
The average cost for car insurance coverage in New York is approximately $193 per month.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in New York?
You could lose your driver’s license and vehicle registration for at least one year. The fine may be as much as $1,500.
What is driving like in New York?
Driving can be intimidating, especially in New York City. Since the city never sleeps, businesses are almost always open, which can mean different traffic laws than what you are used to. Parking is at a premium. Car accidents are the leading cause of death for New Yorkers. Roughly 5% of motorists in New York are uninsured.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in New York?
Here are a few ways to get cheap car insurance:
- Ask about multi-car discounts if you have more than one car.
- Ask about discounts for a good driving record and various car features.
- Ask about higher deductibles for certain coverages, as this will lower your premium.
We Have Your Town Covered!
Each state offers different types of car insurance coverages. Here are some additional types of coverage you may want to consider if you live in New York:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Additional kinds of coverage
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and road service: If you break down while on the road, this coverage pays for gas, battery charges, tow trucks, and other expenses.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car is not running, this coverage pays for a rental car until your car is fixed.
- Gap insurance: This insurance covers the difference between the value of your vehicle and what you owe on it. This coverage is good to have if you have a new vehicle.
Cities We Cover In New York
Cheap car insurance in New York is possible! We cover the following cities in the state:
Enter your Zip Code and get a
FREE QUOTE TODAY!