Wondering about the best SR22 insurance? Need to find cheap SR22 auto insurance fast?
Most people who go online for “cheap SR22 insurance near me” have been in an accident or had a traffic conviction recently. As a result, a court could order you to hold an SR22 insurance endorsement.
SR22 (also called SR-22, and in some states FR-44) is a special type of insurance for “high risk drivers.” It doesn’t work exactly like other forms of car insurance, so it can be confusing to find the best SR22 insurance online.
Here’s what you need to know about SR22 insurance:
What Is SR22 Insurance?
Although you’ll usually hear it called “SR22 insurance,” SR22 is different from regular car insurance policies. It serves as a special policy endorsement, proving you are holding car insurance coverage that meets the legal standards for financial responsibility in your state.
In effect, even the best insurance with SR22 probably doesn’t offer you any more protection than a basic car insurance policy. It simply verifies that you have enough insurance to meet your obligations if you are in an accident. Unfortunately, it can be very expensive. It is not unusual for SR22 to be twice as costly as regular insurance.
Who Needs SR22 Insurance?
You might be ordered to hold an SR22 insurance endorsement if you have recently been in a car accident.
SR22 insurance is very common in these situations:
- You were found responsible for a car accident that caused bodily injury
- You were pulled over by law enforcement and did not have car insurance
- You were convicted of traffic violations like Driving Under the Influence
- You were convicted of smaller offenses, like speeding, multiple times
SR22 insurance designates that someone is a high risk driver. The best insurance with SR22 will help you keep your costs down until you are no longer required to maintain SR22. Then, you have the option of going back to standard coverage at a lower rate.
How Long Do You Need SR22 Insurance?
How long you have SR22 insurance could vary by the offense. The court has a great deal of leeway to decide who needs SR22 insurance and for how long. In general, though, you will hold SR22 insurance for about three years. That could start from the date of a court conviction or from the date of the qualifying offense.
Cheap SR22 auto insurance is worth the time it takes to find. By going with the most affordable SR22 insurance in your state, you could save hundreds of dollars over the course of three years. Still, you can expect even the best insurance with SR22 to be more expensive than the minimum car insurance policy in your state.
The only situation where most people are allowed to cancel SR22 insurance is if you no longer drive. You may be required to surrender the license plate of your vehicle and take other steps to verify it will not be used.
Why Is SR22 Insurance So Expensive?
Insurance companies have broad power to decide just how expensive SR22 insurance will be. Not all insurance firms even offer it. From the perspective of a car insurance company, people with SR22 insurance are more likely than others to have an accident, so they are charged extra to defray potential costs in the future.
Remember, even though you might hold SR22 car insurance as part of a court order, it is not the job of your car insurance company to “punish” you. Most people are still allowed to change SR22 insurance providers if they find a better deal. Just be sure there are no gaps in your coverage period when you switch!
What Happens if I Don’t Have SR22 Insurance?
Even if you can’t find “cheap SR22 insurance near me,” you are still required to carry it!
If you don’t have SR22 insurance when you’re supposed to, you could get into serious legal trouble. If you are stopped and fail to show proof of insurance, your license and vehicle registration may be suspended. In some states, this leads to the vehicle being impounded until after your next court hearing.
What happens from there depends on your driving record and past offenses.
In some states, not having SR22 insurance could lead to your license being permanently revoked. It may even result in jail time. This is more likely if you obtained SR22 car insurance following a severe traffic offense, such as Driving Under the Influence or a hit and run. However, the laws vary from one state to another.
The best insurance with SR22 is the one that keeps you out of trouble! With Cheap Insurance, you can search online for cheap SR22 car insurance by comparing rates from all the top insurers. Get started now or contact us to find out more.
Additional Requirements For DUI/DWI Convictions
SR22 documentation is “proof of financial responsibility” for drivers who have had their licenses
revoked or suspended for any number of reasons, including:
- Excessive violations within a certain time frame.
- Driving without insurance.
- Outstanding traffic or parking fines.
- At-fault accidents while uninsured.
- Reckless driving.
- The first thing you need to do is contact your car insurance company. In most states there is a $15 to $25 fee to file the SR22.
- To obtain an SR22 filing, you must purchase minimum liability coverage on all vehicles registered to you, whether they are operational or non-operational. For those who do not own a vehicle, “non-owners” liability coverage is required.
- The minimum period for SR22 filing is three years, though it may be longer, based on the severity of the violation(s), and whether or not your liability policy stays active. During this time period you must keep your insurance active by making all your payments on time. You must also keep your driving record clean. If your insurance lapses, or you get another driving violation, your license will be suspended and you will have to begin the process over again.
- The DMV determines when and if your driver’s license may be reinstated. DMV fees, typically a $10 reinstatement fee, are required to reactivate your driver’s license. In addition, any parking or moving violation judgments or fines will need to be resolved before reinstatement as well.
Even though you have a rough patch when it comes to driving, now you are getting back out on the road. You will need the right kind of insurance to go along with your SR22 filing.
There are state minimum requirements.
For example, the California state minimum requirement for auto insurance is as follows:
- Bodily Injury Liability Limits: $30,000 per occurrence/ $15,000 per person
- Property Damage Liability Limits: $5,000 per occurrence
The above minimum requirements only cover the other party involved if you are in an accident. Most likely, if you have had some trouble with the law and are now needing auto insurance, you should probably obtain full coverage.
Here are the other options for full coverage:
- Collision coverage will cover you and your car in case of an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage will cover theft and other types of damages.
- Uninsured Motorist coverage will still cover you even if the other party fails to have insurance.
- Towing and Roadside Assistance are great option when searching for insurance. This could covered tows as well as battery jump starts and emergency key entry.
- Glass coverage is an added coverage for any broken glass on your car.
Here are some ways that you can prevent needing SR22 insurance.
- Don’t drink and drive. This may seem like a simple and easy concept, but millions of people still do it every year. Just one drink could put you over the legal limit. Find out what your alcohol limit is according to your weight and make sure you stay under. Try to get a designated driver and bring drinking alternatives. If you have already had a DUI or DWI, make sure you find responsible ways to have fun when driving that DO NOT include alcohol.
- Do not drive without insurance. This is not only risky for you but for other drivers on the road.
- Pay your tickets and fines so that your drivers license is not revoked. Make sure anytime you get a ticket, you deal with it promptly. You may even have to attend traffic school. This is always a better option than having your drivers license taken away.
- Avoid reckless driving. This might mean racing, driving illegally, road rage and a plethora of other things. You should obey traffic laws and try to drive as safely as possible. Reckless driving can be dangerous and will also result in your license being revoked.
- Always have you proof of insurance and car registration available. It is illegal to not have proof of insurance while driving.
Here are the states that do not require SR22 : Even if these states do not require this filing, you must keep SR22 insurance if you are moving to a state that requires it. Deleware, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania.
When you get your drivers license suspended or revoked, this is a “red flag” according to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Anytime you need to have SR22 insurance, you are considered a “high-risk” driver.
Because of this your insurance policy may be more expensive. You fall short of any “good-driver” discounts. You may have to pay more for your insurance for the next few years. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
When you make the correct choices, file for SR22 and keep a good driving record, you will once again get your life back on track.
The fee for this filing is usually under $50. But this is not the part that will cost you. The premiums on your auto insurance will no doubt go up.
You will need this insurance for three years. Even though this might cost you more, in the end, you will be pleased to know that your SR22 insurance can be dropped and you can continue on as a normal driver.
A DUI however does take up to ten years to leave your record. Remember this when calculating how a revoked license could effect your life.
Here are the top few questions you should ask your Cheap Insurance agent.
Which coverage is right for me based on my circumstances?
What are some ways I can save money on my cheap car insurance?
How much will SR22 insurance?
Am I considered a “high-risk” driver?
When do I need to file for SR22?
How long will I need to have my SR22 insurance?
Do I need to take any driver safety courses?
How will this affect my premiums?
We all go through rough patches. Getting your license revoked is a hardship on not only you, but your family. There are ways we at Cheap Insurance can help make the process a little easier.
You can fill out a quote online or talk to one of our helpful representatives.
We have been dealing with SR22 filings for many years and know what to expect. You need someone in your corner during this time.
Driving with the correct insurance can be the difference between spending thousands out of pocket, or being covered for your families medical needs.
It is always better to be over insured than underinsured. But it doesn’t always have to cost you more.
We at Cheap Insurance believe that you deserve the best possible rate even if you have had some trouble with the law.
Here are some terms you may want to know:
- Broker- someone who compares and finds insurance policies for the consumer. They do not represent a particular agency but rather the consumer.
- Carrier is another name for an insurance company.
- Defensive driving course- a traffic safety course which improves driving. It may be taken to prevent a citation from going onto your records.
- Driving under the influence- Driving a motor vehicle when under the affects of drugs or alcohol. Each state has it’s own legal limit for alcohol use. If you are above this limit, you will be given a citation. Every state has their own penalties for this action and costs vary as well.
- Financial responsibility laws- Laws that make it illegal to not have the minimum state standards of insurance.
- Licensed driver- is someone who has fulfilled the states requirement for driving a vehicle and has been issued a valid license.
- Proof of coverage is a written document which shows insurance coverage for a specific property for a specific time.
- Risk ratio- are all risk factors associated with a policy holder and their property that determines the insurance premium.
Call us today and get your cheap SR22 insurance (800) 486-1866
You can also get an online quote and we will deliver your information and policy to your e-mail within minutes.
This process is simple and with our friendly staff, all of your questions can be answered.
We can help you get your freedom back on the road.