Iowa may not be the flashiest state. It may not have the bustling nightlife of New York and California. But for so many people, Iowa is home. For the people who live here, you’ll need car insurance to operate a vehicle. Insurance can cost a pretty penny—but luckily, we can help you get the cheap car insurance you need so that you can get on the road.
Quick Iowa Car Insurance Facts
Iowa is an interesting state. Here are some facts about driving and insurance in Iowa to get your attention:
- There are nearly 3.5 million registered vehicles in Iowa (despite a population of just over 3 million people), with an average registration fee of $137.
- Iowa buckles up! A 2020 survey by the Iowa Department of Transportation found that 95.2% of observed Iowa drivers wore their seat belts, considerably higher than the national average.
- Unfortunately, Iowa also drives too fast. In 2018, Iowa state police handed out 152,479 speeding tickets to drivers exceeding the speed limit.
Minimum Iowa Car Insurance Coverage
The Iowa state government isn’t just requiring you to have insurance because they can. Insurance is a critical way of protecting yourself and others when operating a vehicle. Luckily, the minimum required by the state of Iowa isn’t that much, which means paying for minimum coverage won’t be too expensive.
Iowa state law requires drivers to have:
- Minimum bodily injury coverage per individual of $20,000.
- Minimum bodily injury coverage per accident of $40,000.
- Minimum property damage coverage of $15,000.
While just having the minimum required by law is important, you may want to have a bit more coverage based on your situation. Talk to your car insurance provider to find out what is best for you.
Getting Cheap Car Insurance In Iowa
You want cheap car insurance. You don’t want to overpay, but you still want to be protected when you drive. At Cheap Insurance, we completely understand. Here’s our list of tips to help you find the insurance you need at a price you can afford:
1. Understand the minimums: We’ve already been over the minimum amount of coverage required by Iowa to drive legally. Keeping these numbers in mind will help you be a smarter shopper and get the cheapest possible coverage.
2. Shop around: Insurance companies have a lot of discretion in setting their prices. Big-name insurance companies can be especially pricey. Get quotes from multiple companies to find the best rates.
3. Be a safer driver: A history of accidents, tickets, and especially DUIs can increase your premiums a great deal. On the other hand, safe driving can earn you discounts and better prices.
Iowa Car Insurance Discounts
Want a discount on your car insurance? All you have to do is qualify. In Iowa, there are many different discounts available to good drivers. Call your car insurance provider to see if you can get any of the following discounts applied to your rate.
Good Driver: A clean driving record may get you somewhere between 10–30% off your insurance in Iowa.
Good Student: Parents of younger drivers will love this. Students with a “B” average or higher may qualify for a 5–20% discount.
Safety Features: Having special safety features such as anti-lock brakes or daytime running lights installed on your car may get you a discount.
What is the average car insurance cost in Iowa?
Average minimum liability policy: $408 per year. Average full coverage policy: $1,659 per year.
How much is car insurance per month in Iowa?
Average minimum liability policy: $34 per month. Average full coverage policy: $138 per month.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Iowa?
Driving without insurance is a crime in Iowa that can result in the loss of your license, the loss of your license plates, a mandate to show up in court, and hefty fines.
What is driving like in Iowa?
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in Iowa?
Looking to save on your policy? It just takes a little creativity. Here are some of our best ideas to get you started:
- If you have multiple cars, ask your car insurance provider for a multi-car discount.
- Drive defensively so that you can qualify for good driver discounts.
- Ask if it is possible to pay in installments or if there are service fees.
- Opt to increase your deductible in order to pay less monthly.
What do I need to do to register my vehicle in Iowa? Iowa vehicle registrations are conducted by the local county treasurer’s office. New residents must register their vehicles within 30 days of establishing residency.
Other Types of Coverage
You don’t have to limit yourself to the minimum state-required car insurance coverage. In some cases, it may be wise to have more. There are many different types of coverage that you may consider adding to your policy. Here are some of the most common:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Additional kinds of coverage
- Towing and road service
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance
Cities We Cover In Iowa
If you’re ready to stop overpaying and get cheap car insurance, we’re here to help you. Cheap Insurance helps you get exactly what you need to drive legally. Let us help connect you with car insurance coverage in the following cities: