Whether you’re a new driver in Massachusetts or a new state resident, we have great news for you. Shopping for cheap car insurance is quite easy when you use Cheap Insurance to guide your search. And, are you ready for more good news? MA car insurance is cheaper than the national average, meaning the odds of finding budget-friendly coverage are on your side.
Quick Massachusetts Car Insurance Facts
Don’t start your hunt for car insurance coverage without getting familiar with MA car insurance facts. Here’s what you should know:
- Massachusetts ranks about 41st in the nation for car insurance costs.
- Many Massachusetts drivers pay less than $721 for car insurance annually or $60 per month.
- Drivers in Massachusetts are required to carry bodily injury liability insurance with a minimum of $20,000/$40,000 coverage, along with $5,000 property damage liability coverage.
- Drivers must also have personal injury protection of at least $8,000.
- Massachusetts has some of the lowest car accident deaths per 100,000 people, with a rate of 4.8 per 100,000 people or 334 deaths per year.
- There are about 4.9 million registered drivers in Massachusetts.
Minimum Massachusetts Car Insurance Coverage
According to state laws, Massachusetts drivers must carry liability car insurance with at least the following minimums:
Bodily injury to others: $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident
Personal injury protection: $8,000 per person, per accident
Property damage: $5,000 per accident
Getting Cheap Car Insurance In Massachusetts
Finding cheap car insurance in Massachusetts starts with comparing car insurance providers and following these tips and tricks:
- Purchase minimum coverage: For many drivers, the minimum coverage is adequate and affordable.
- Stay on the defense: Stay alert and attentive while driving—avoiding accidents and tickets will save you money on car insurance.
- Ask about discounts: Sometimes, all it takes to get affordable coverage is simply asking. Talk to several providers to see if you qualify for discount programs.
- Massachusetts insurance programs: You might even qualify for state-sponsored car insurance discounts.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Discounts
Request a quote with Cheap Insurance to find out if you qualify for the following car insurance coverage discounts:
Good Driver: Is your driving record free of car accidents, speeding tickets, and other traffic violations? If so, you could obtain cheaper car insurance rates.
Good Student: If you’re a high school or college student with good grades, you could be rewarded with discounted car insurance.
What is the average car insurance cost in Massachusetts?
The average driver pays about $721 per year for car insurance in Massachusetts.
How much is car insurance per month in Massachusetts?
Monthly car insurance rates in MA round out to about $60 per month for minimum coverage.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Massachusetts?
Driving without insurance could result in a $500 fine, one year in jail, driving privileges revoked, and reinstatement fees.
What is driving like in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts is home to 4.9 million registered drivers—about 3.5% of which are uninsured. There are about 321 fatal car accidents per year.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in Massachusetts?
When you’re looking to save money on your car insurance coverage, ask about these potential discounts:
- Discounts for insuring multiple cars on one policy
- Student or good driver discounts
- Airbags, anti-theft devices, and other safety feature discounts
- Discounts for paying in an installment plan
- Discounts for high deductible coverage
Other Types of Coverage
Minimum car insurance coverage may not be adequate for your needs. In that case, consider the following types of coverage:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Additional Kinds of Coverage
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and road service
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance
Cities We Cover In Massachusetts
Cheap car insurance in Massachusetts could be just a few miles away. Find Cheap Insurance in a town near you: