Cheap Insurance New Jersey
Driving in New Jersey: Statewide Stats
Despite the high cost of living, there are plenty of options for cheap insurance New Jersey agents can offer. It pays to shop around, especially in such a densely populated state.There are almost 8 million registered vehicles in New Jersey as of 2012, with a quarter million traffic accidents, 525 of which were fatal. The average annual cost for auto insurance is $1,905 (or $159/month) as of December, 2013.
Around 11% of drivers in New Jersey are uninsured, resulting in higher than average insurance premiums. If you are caught driving without insurance you will face a fine between $300 and $1,000, a period of community services, and loss of your driver’s license for one year. New Jersey hopes that these stiff penalties will help lower the rate of uninsured drivers, and ultimately help consumers by lowering auto insurance rates.
New Jersey State Car Insurance Requirements
- The state mandates that a “Basic Policy” be available to drivers who are facing financial hardship (usually reserved for young drivers), and includes:
- $15,000 of Personal Injury Protection
- $5,000 Property Damage liability
- This policy is the typical split-limit liability policy and includes the following minimum coverages:
- Bodily Injury liability: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
- Property Damage liability: $5,000
- Personal Injury Protection: $15,000 per person or accident
More information on these different policies can be found at the state’s Department of Banking & Insurance page.
Did you know?
- New Jersey is the 11th most populous state in the nation, but the most densely populated in the nation.
- 180 million years ago, during the Jurassic Period, New Jersey shared a border with North Africa.
- The first Miss America Pageant was held in 1921 in Atlantic City.
- The first drive-in movie was shown in Camden in 1933!
- The largest industries in the state are pharmaceuticals, financials, chemical development, and telecommunication.
- It is illegal to slurp your soup in New Jersey.
- It is against the law to “frown” at a police officer.
- It is illegal for men to knit during the fishing season.
Motor Vehicle Commission
The New Jersey MVC’s website is built to help consumers renew their drivers licenses, register their vehicles, and prepare for licensing exams (among other services). You can also change your address online, order your motor vehicle report, and pay registration fees and traffic fines.
For a list of local MVC offices, click here.
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, there were 164 drunk driving fatalities in 2012 (representing 28% of all total traffic deaths). In 2013, there were over 24,000 DUI arrests in the state.
The Motor Vehicle Commission lists the following penalties for a first-time DUI offense:
- $230-$400 fine
- Over $500 in other fees
- $1,000/year license surcharge
- 90-day license suspension
- Up to 30 days in jail, and 12-48 hours of Community Service.
The Bottom Line
As with most states, New Jersey’s auto insurance rates are most affected the DUI and uninsured motorist rates. However, the population density (which is much higher than most states) is a huge factor as well. Many residents commute to and from the cities, or across into New York, and with that many drivers on the road each day, the risk of traffic accidents increases exponentially.
All the more reason to make sure you are always paying the cheapest rate! With so many companies competing for your business, now is a great time to call an agent! A licensed professional can guide you through the buying process and ensure that you are paying the cheapest rates available. Call us at the number above, or check out one of our local pages for a list of agents in your area.
We Have Your Town Covered!
Average Annual Premiums in New Jersey = $1,608 | via Insure.com
Have questions about auto insurance in your state? Want a quote for car insurance?
Start with your zipcode for a fast, free quote.
OR speak to an agent:
Local New Jersey agencies we can beat in price.
400 Madison Ave Ste 1
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
Bayonne, NJ 07002
208 Harrison Ave
Harrison, NJ 07029
89 Franklin Ave Ste 200
Nutley, NJ 07110
339 Lyons Ave
Newark, NJ 07112