Those who live in West Virginia enjoy its gorgeous mountains, especially in the fall. The state is also known for fly fishing, horse races, and bluegrass music. Locals also love pepperoni rolls and swimming holes.
Car insurance is a necessity in West Virginia. Rates are slightly below what most people pay for auto insurance, and you could pay more or less in certain areas. If you’re looking for cheap car insurance in West Virginia, Cheap Insurance can help. Click the button below to see how much you can save.
Quick West Virginia Car Insurance Facts
- West Virginia has a minimum coverage requirement known as the 25/50/25 rule.
- In West Virginia, the average cost of full auto insurance coverage is $1,499 per year.
- The cost of minimum coverage is roughly $458 per year.
- In West Virginia, approximately 9.2% of drivers are uninsured.
Minimum West Virginia Car Insurance Coverage
To learn more about car insurance coverage requirements in West Virginia, check out the state’s Division of Motor Vehicles website.
West Virginia requires drivers to have minimum insurance to pay for certain damages in a car accident, such as property damage and injuries. The minimum auto insurance coverages are as follows:
Property damage: $25,000 per accident
Bodily injury/death: $25,000 for bodily injury per person, $50,000 per accident
Getting Cheap Car Insurance in West Virginia
Need cheap car insurance in West Virginia? Consider these tips to save money:
- Compare rates. Many sites can help you compare car insurance providers. You can also contact Cheap Insurance for a quote.
- Pay as you go. Many car insurance providers have usage-based programs that can help you save money if you drive very little.
- Talk to your agent. If you think you may be paying too much, ask your agent about available discounts. Take advantage of everything you’re eligible for.
West Virginia Car Insurance Discounts
Looking for cheaper car insurance coverage in West Virginia? Here are some possible ways to save money:
Good Driver: Drivers with no accidents or tickets may be able to save 10% or more. Discuss this possibility with your car insurance provider.
Good Student: Young drivers often pay more for insurance, but good grades can often help them save on their premiums.
Defensive Driving Courses: Your car insurance provider may offer discounts for drivers who take defensive driving courses.
Multiple Vehicles: When everyone in your household uses the same insurance company to insure their vehicles, you can save money.
What is the average car insurance cost in West Virginia?
The average person pays approximately $1,499 per year for car insurance coverage in West Virginia.
How much is car insurance per month in West Virginia?
The average monthly cost for car insurance in West Virginia amounts to $125 per month.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in West Virginia?
If you choose to drive in West Virginia without insurance, the penalties are stiff. You could face fines of up to $5,000, up to one year in prison, and a driver’s license suspension.
What is driving like in West Virginia?
West Virginia has a lot of scenic routes and mountain roads. These roads can be dangerous, though, accounting for many fatalities. On top of that, many motorists in the state engage in speeding and intoxicated driving, making driving generally unsafe.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in West Virginia?
Here are some tips for cheap car insurance in West Virginia:
- Consider a group or affiliation discount, which is often available through employers.
- Buy a vehicle with safety features, as this may result in discounted insurance premiums.
- Stay safe and alert while driving and avoid reckless behaviors such as drinking and driving.
Other Types of Coverage
West Virginia requires a minimum amount of coverage. If you need more coverage, there are other car insurance coverages to think about:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Additional kinds of coverage
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and road service: Get roadside assistance for breakdowns with this coverage.
- Rental car reimbursement: When you can’t drive your vehicle, this coverage reimburses you for the use of a rental car.
- Gap insurance: In an accident, your insurance company will typically only pay the value of your vehicle, which is likely a lot less than what you owe on your auto loan. Gap insurance pays the difference and ensures you are fully covered.
Cities We Cover in West Virginia
Cheap car insurance is available in West Virginia. Cheap Insurance covers several cities in the state, including: