Car insurance rates have increased in Louisiana over the past few years—but that doesn’t mean you can’t find cheap car insurance in the state. If you’re a driver looking for affordable premiums and comprehensive coverage, we can help. Start the process of finding the right budget-friendly insurance for your needs by clicking to get a free quote.
Quick Louisiana Car Insurance Facts
Before you commit to a car insurance policy, here are some important facts you should know about car insurance in the state of Louisiana:
- Drivers in Louisiana pay an average of $1,263 annually for car insurance.
- Louisiana ranks 47th in the nation in the category of affordable car insurance.
- Car insurance rates are about 75% higher than the national average cost of car insurance.
- Every vehicle must meet 15/30/25 liability limits in the state.
- An average of 681 people die every year in car crashes.
- About 12% of Louisiana drivers are uninsured or under-insured.
- The state ranks 26th in the nation for uninsured motorists.
Minimum Louisiana Car Insurance Coverage
According to state law, Louisiana drivers must carry minimum liability insurance of 15/30/25. This means every driver must have the following liability coverage:
Bodily injury: $15,000 for the death or injury of one other person
Bodily injury: $30,000 total for death or injury of all affected people
Property damage: $25,000 for property damage, including vehicles and stationary objects
Getting Cheap Car Insurance In Louisiana
You could be paying less for car insurance simply by taking a few extra steps as you research car insurance providers. Here are some tips to help you save on your car insurance coverage:
- Start with minimum coverage: Don’t need full coverage? Starting with minimum liability coverage will save you money on your monthly bills.
- Compare prices: Every provider has different premiums and offerings, so take time to shop around for the best option.
- Stay on the defense: Defensive drivers are less likely to get in accidents or receive tickets, which will raise your car insurance rates.
- Louisiana insurance programs: Find out if you qualify for state car insurance discounts.
Louisiana Car Insurance Discounts
Here are a few of the car insurance discounts you may be eligible for in Louisiana:
Good Driver: Some Louisiana drivers could qualify for car insurance discounts—simply by having a good driving record.
Good Student: If you’re a high school or college student with good grades, you might be able to receive discounted insurance rates.
What is the average car insurance cost in Louisiana?
Louisiana drivers pay about $2,536 annually for car insurance coverage.
How much is car insurance per month in Louisiana?
Monthly car insurance rates break down to about $211.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Louisiana?
Those who drive without insurance in Louisiana could pay fines of $500-1,000 or have their license and registration suspended.
What is driving like in Louisiana?
Roughly 12% of Louisiana drivers are uninsured or under-insured, and there are about 681 fatal car crashes every year.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in Louisiana?
Don’t pay more than you need to for car insurance in Louisiana. Here are some easy ways to save:
- Inquire about discounts for multiple-car insurance
- Inquire about student driver and good driver discounts
- Inquire about discounts for car safety features
- Inquire about payment installment plans
- Inquire about high deductible coverage
Other Types of Coverage
Looking for more than just minimum car insurance coverage? Here are some other types of car insurance to consider:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Additional Kinds of Coverage
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and road service
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance
Cities We Cover In Louisiana
If you’re a Louisiana driver ready to save money on cheap car insurance, we’re here to serve you. Find us in a town nearby, including:
Enter your Zip Code and get a
FREE QUOTE TODAY!