It doesn’t matter if you moved to Delaware last week or if you’ve lived here all of your life. If you have a car, you need car insurance to drive. Cheap Insurance is a car insurance broker that helps you get cheap car insurance that covers the basics and cuts out the frills.
Quick Delaware Car Insurance Facts
Let’s review a few facts about driving and car insurance here in Delaware:
- There are over 850,000 registered vehicles in the state of Delaware, but only 650,000 licensed drivers.
- In 2011, Delaware State Police reported 20,872 traffic accidents resulting in 103 deaths, 7,694 injuries, and over $435 million in economic losses for the state.
- Delaware ranks as the 18th most dangerous state to drive in the United States.
- The average price of car insurance is higher in Delaware than in many other states.
Minimum Delaware Car Insurance Coverage
It’s not only the law to have car insurance, but it’s also a way to protect yourself in the case of an accident. Delaware has specific state laws as to what coverage a driver must have before operating a vehicle.
According to Delaware state law, these are the minimum car insurance requirements:
- $25,000 of bodily injury protection for each person involved in the crash
- $50,000 of bodily injury liability per crash
- $10,000 property damage coverage
- $15,000 personal injury protection (PIP) for each person injured in the crash
- $30,000 personal injury protection (PIP) per crash
- $5,000 to pay for funeral costs (included in PIP)
Getting Cheap Car Insurance In Delaware
Yes, everyone wants cheap car insurance, but how does one actually find it? It’s not nearly as difficult as you’d think. Here’s our guide to finding affordable car insurance coverage that doesn’t break your bank account:
- Know your state’s minimum insurance requirements: By choosing insurance that meets Delaware’s minimum requirements, you’ll be able to drive legally while paying for the lowest amount of coverage necessary.
- Research, research, research: There are so many insurance companies out there. Just going with the big-name brands can be costly. Spend time comparing rates, getting quotes, and shopping around for the best deal.
- Practice defensive driving: Being a safe, smart driver can really pay off. A clean driving record can help you get better rates. So slow down, buckle up, and don’t drink or text while driving.
Delaware Car Insurance Discounts
Based on where you live, you may be able to get discounts on your insurance. In Delaware, there are many discounts that you may be able to qualify for. Here are just a few:
Good Driver: Delaware drivers without recent speeding tickets, accidents, DUIs, and insurance claims may be eligible for discounts of 10–30%.
Good Student: Students with good grades (“B” average or higher) may be able to get a discount on their insurance.
Defensive Driving Discount: Drivers over 50 in Delaware may be able to receive a discount of 5–10% for completing a course on defensive driving.
What is the average car insurance cost in Delaware?
The average cost of a minimum coverage policy: $1,200 per year. The average cost of a full coverage policy: $2,883 per year.
How much is car insurance per month in Delaware?
The average cost of a minimum coverage policy: $100 per month. The average cost of a full coverage policy: $240 per month.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Delaware?
The penalty for driving without insurance in Delaware is a minimum fine of $1,500 and a 6-month license suspension for the first offense. Multiple offenses have a minimum fine of $3,000.
What is driving like in Delaware?
Delaware is a very beautiful state, with many scenic byways that make for nice drives. Unfortunately, Delaware is one of the more dangerous states to drive in. Part of this is due to the high amount of rush-hour traffic congestion.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in Delaware?
There are lots of opportunities to save on your car insurance policy. Below are just a few ideas:
- See if your car insurance provider offers multiple-car discounts.
- Find out what good driver discounts you can get
- See if you can get a discount for certain safety features in your vehicle from the car insurance provider
- Ask if you can pay in installments.
- Consider increasing the amount of your deductible so that you can pay a lower monthly premium.
How do you register a car in Delaware?
Vehicle registration is handled by the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles. New residents must title and register their vehicles within 60 days of becoming residents. Delaware has a one-time titling fee of $25, and an annual registration fee of $40 for passenger vehicles. To know more about car insurance in Delaware, contact our experts now.
Other Types of Coverage
While Delaware requires coverage for liability, property damage, and personal injury protection, other kinds of insurance may be a good fit based on your situation. Consider adding some of these car insurance coverages to your policy:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Additional kinds of coverage
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and road service
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance