Alabama is a Southern gem where flatlands, lakes, and history come alive. Bordered by land on three sides and the Gulf Of Mexico on the other, Alabama is unique indeed.
Nicknamed “The Yellowhammer State,” Alabama has much more to offer after the state bird than one might think. Whether you’ve just moved here or have been here a while, finding cheap car insurance is a must. And the best place to start is by getting a free quote with Cheap Insurance.
Quick Alabama Car Insurance Facts
Each state has its own distinct car insurance laws and policies. When driving around Alabama, you can expect the following rules to be in place:
- Carry Proof of Insurance Whenever Driving
- Follow Alabama Road Laws When Driving
- Drivers License May be Deactivated if You Provide False Information When Applying
- License Can Be Revoked if You Are Convicted of Certain Offenses
- No Texting and Driving
- Teen Drivers with a Stage II License Can’t Use Phones at All
- At-Fault State for Determining Liability and Compensation
Minimum Alabama Car Insurance Coverage
The following are the Alabama law’s minimum requirements for car insurance:
- Liability Insurance
- $25,000 for bodily injury to another person
- $50,000 for bodily injury to all other persons
- $25,000 for injury or destruction of another individual’s property in a single accident
The amounts of coverage are often referred to as 25/50/25 in the state. This is the maximum amount your insurance will pay in the event of an auto accident where you are found to be at fault.
Getting Cheap Car Insurance In Alabama
Alabama car insurance rates are a bit below the national average. However, not all policies are equal, so finding cheap car insurance in Alabama still requires some legwork on your part.
- Start with the minimum: A great way to start is to pay only for what you need. So take some time to calculate that number and look into what the minimum payments are for you.
- Compare lots of insurance firms: There are many different insurance options out there. Take some time to really do your research into various firms and what they have to offer.
- Be a defensive driver: One of the best things you can do for yourself and your insurance coverage is to drive carefully and safely. You’re not the problem out on the road—everyone else is. Driving cautiously can put you in a better position to avoid accidents and avoid the increased costs that come with accidents.
- Alabama insurance programs: The more research you do and the more you explore your options, the better prepared you’ll be to make the right decision when it comes to Alabama insurance programs. There are plenty of different insurance programs to choose from, and some are going to make more sense for you than others.
Alabama Car Insurance Discounts
There are a few discounts to Alabama car insurance rates for certain drivers who meet the set criteria. These include the following:
Good Driver: Good drivers with clean driving records and no claims history save between 10% and 30% on insurance in Alabama.
Good Student: Young drivers with a “B” average or higher in school are eligible for discounts ranging between 5% and 20%.
Customer Loyalty: Long-term loyalty to your insurance company can be rewarded with up to 10% off.
Continuously Insured: Drivers insured for 6 months or longer may qualify to save 5% to 25%.
Billing and Payments: If you pay your policy in full, pay online, set up automatic payments, or go paperless, you can save 2% to 25%.
Safety Features: If you drive a vehicle with multiple safety features, such as daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, and multiple airbags, you can save from 2% up to 30% on insurance.
Usage-Based: Some insurance companies offer 1% to 30% off to drivers who are comfortable with having their driving monitored by a device attached to the car.
Anti-Theft Systems: Comprehensive auto coverage can be charged 5% to 25% for some vehicles with car alarms and other anti-theft features.
Get answers to some frequently asked questions below:
What is the average car insurance cost in Alabama?
The average cost of car insurance in Alabama is around $113 per month.
How much is car insurance per month in Alabama?
The annual cost of minimum coverage car insurance in Alabama is approximately $469, and the cost for full coverage is approximately $1,623.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Alabama?
Driving in Alabama without car insurance is considered a misdemeanor and comes with a fine between $500, for a first offense, and up to $1,000 for subsequent offenses. In addition, your license can be suspended for up to six months. Repeat offenders can even face jail time.
What is driving like in Alabama?
Alabama drivers log a lot of miles and face some dangerous conditions. In 2019, the state came in 14th for fatalities per 100 million miles traveled.
How can I save money on my car insurance policy in Alabama?
Asking about the following could lower your car insurance premium:
- Ask about multi-car discounts, for insuring several cars.
- Ask about the good driver discounts.
- Ask about discounts for airbags, anti-theft devices, or other features.
- Ask about payment installment plans and if there are service fees.
- Ask about higher deductibles for comprehensive and collision coverage.
When do I need to get a new license?
If you’re a new resident of Alabama, you must apply for an AL driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residency.
Other Types of Coverage
Here are some other types of coverage you might want to consider when moving to or living in the state of Alabama:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM)
Medical Payments Coverage
Physical Damage Coverage
Endorsements and Riders
- Towing and road service
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance
Cities We Cover In Alabama
Cheap car insurance in Alabama is more readily available than you think, thanks to Cheap Insurance. We cover the following cities in the state of Alabama:
Enter your Zip Code and get a
FREE QUOTE TODAY!