Get a Quote
It is located at the southernmost tip of Texas, on the northern bank of the Rio Grande, directly north and across the border from Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico. With and estimated 2015 population of 183,887, it is the 16th biggest city in Texas. The cost of living in the city is 25% cheaper than the national average, and 17% cheaper than Texas. Because of its location on the border, Brownsville has some unique traffic and crime problems that can affect local insurance rates. Residents should take the time to explore all the options for cheap car insurance Brownsville has available.
Cheap Car Insurance Brownsville Requirements
It’s important to have the right car insurance in Brownsville to protect not only yourself, but your vehicle too. Remember that carrying the minimum coverage required by law may not be enough to cover you personally. Make sure your policy will cover all of your assets, even if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver.
- Bodily Injury coverage requirements are a minimum of $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability minimum requirements are $25,000.
- Uninsured Motorist coverage is not required, but insurance company’s are required to offer it, and explain the coverage to consumers. According to Texas’ DMV, an estimated 20% of drivers in the state are uninsured, resulting in costs of up to $900 million for consumers.
- The law in Texas requires drivers to pay for accidents that they cause. Fault is ultimately determined by the state, using evidence and testimony gathered at the scene of the accident. The at-fault party is then required to pay all damages resulting from the accident.
Public Transportation In Brownsville
- The city of Brownsville currently operates seven cycling paths around the area. Around 64 miles of the city’s streets are bicycle trails and on-street bike lanes. The city’s move towards a more environmental-friendly area has created the nickname “The Bicycling Capital of the Rio Grande Valley.”
- Bus transportation is provided by Brownsville Metro.