Get a Quote
Poughkeepsie, is a city in New York with a 2015 estimated population of 30,371. It got its name from a word in the Wappinger language, meaning “the reed-covered lodge by the little-water place.” This is in reference to the stream feeding into the Hudson River south of the present downtown area. The Vanderbilt mansion is located just up the Hudson River, and the similar architecture of the city is classic late 19th century. It also has classic traffic, just like it’s nearby cities. That means residents should explore all the options for cheap car insurance that Poughkeepsie has available.
Cheap Car Insurance Poughkeepsie Requirements
New York State law requires drivers to carry auto liability insurance coverage at all times. It must remain in effect in order to keep your vehicle registration valid, and must be issued by a company licensed by the New York State Dept. of Financial Services. Out of state insurance is not acceptable, and the insurance must be in the name of the vehicle owner.
- $10,000 for property damage, per single accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury/$50,000 for death of one person, per single accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury/$100,000 for death of two or more persons, per single accident
- For more information, here is a link to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles’ insurance page.
The average commuter in the New York area spends 60 hours a year stuck in traffic.
Public Transportation In Poughkeepsie
Within Poughkeepsie there are two transit bus services. In 2013, the City of Poughkeepsie engaged a private consultant to examine the costs savings and greater efficiency achievable by the integration of these two systems.
- City of Poughkeepsie Transit, operated by the city, has five mostly unidirectional loop routes throughout the city, town, and into Hyde Park.
- Dutchess County LOOP, operated by Dutchess County, travels throughout Dutchess County and also serves as the main link to the Route 9 corridor including Poughkeepsie Galleria and South Hills Mall.