Get a Quote
The City of Elmira is in the south-central part of New York, a short distance north of the Pennsylvania state line. It is the county seat of Chemung County and has an estimated 2015 population of 28,213. Elmira is built almost entirely in the flood plain of the Chemung River, which flows eastward through the city. The city’s economy is built on manufacturing, and it has several major plants located in the area. That means there are many people commuting to and around Elmira, making more traffic congestion and higher accident risk. Residents should take the time to explore all the options for cheap car insurance Elimira has available.
Cheap Car Insurance Elmira Requirements
New York State law requires drivers to carry auto liability insurance coverage at all times. It must remain in effect in order to keep your vehicle registration valid, and must be issued by a company licensed by the New York State Dept. of Financial Services. Out of state insurance is not acceptable, and the insurance must be in the name of the vehicle owner.
- $10,000 for property damage, per single accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury/$50,000 for death of one person, per single accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury/$100,000 for death of two or more persons, per single accident
- For more information, here is a link to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles’ insurance page.
- The average commuter in the New York-Newark area spends 60 hours a year stuck in traffic. Because there are so few drivers, the amount of options for cheap car insurance Buffalo has available often surprises residents.
Public Transportation In Elmira
- The Chemung County Transit System operates route service within the City of Elmira and Village of Horseheads. Another route links Elmira with Corning Community College, and with the Steuben County Transit System (SCT) and Corning Erwin Area Transit System (CEATS).