Cheap Car Insurance New York
Driving in New York: Statewide Stats
The amount of options for cheap car insurance New York state has available often surprises residents (at least outside of New York City). And the price isn’t bad either! For the 9.1 million registered vehicles in the state, the average annual insurance premium is $1,413 as of December, 2016.
New York State law requires drivers to carry auto liability insurance coverage at all times. It must remain in effect in order to keep your vehicle registration valid, and must be issued by a company licensed by the New York State Dept. of Financial Services. Out of state insurance is not acceptable, and the insurance must be in the name of the vehicle owner.
New York’s Car Insurance Requirements
- $10,000 for property damage, per single accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury/$50,000 for death of one person, per single accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury/$100,000 for death of two or more persons, per single accident
- For more information, here is a link to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles’ insurance page.
Did you know?
- New York is the third-most populous state, but has the country’s most populated city (New York City).
- 54% of New York city residents use public transportation and, despite the size of its population, the city has an extremely low rate of car ownership.
- Because of New York city, the biggest industries in the entire state are finance, communications, international trade, and publishing.
- The rest of the state is heavily agricultural.
The New York State DMV’s website has numerous tools to help consumers register their vehicles, renew their driver’s licenses, or even buy and sell their cars, and many of its services can be performed online. For in-person help, the website also has a local office locator tool.
- Vehicle registrations are handled by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. For a handy guide, click here.
Uninsured Drivers in New York
New York state has one of the lowest rates of uninsured motorists in the country, which is partly why the average annual auto insurance premium is also low. Stricter insurance and registration laws heavily influence this statistic, as does the relatively low number of vehicle owners.
DWI’s in New York
According to the Century Council’s website there were 33,053 DUI arrests in 2012. In 2009, Mothers Against Drunk Driving helped pass “Leandra’s Law” which made it a felony to drive drunk with a child passenger in New York. The law also mandated that ignition interlocks be required for all DUI offenders. The law is currently being updated to close more loopholes, and improve New York State’s traffic safety.
According the DMV data, 1/3rd of all fatalities in the state involve impaired or intoxicated drivers, resulting in a taxpayer subsidy of $2.4 billion. New York law says that a person is legally intoxicated with a .08 BAC (blood or breath alcohol concentration). First offenses include fees of up to $1,000, up to 1 year in jail, and a 18 month license revocation. Further offenses can results in up to 7 years in jail, $10,000 in fines and loss of driving privileges.
Driving Fatalities and Injuries in New York
The mayor of New York City has recently announced a plan to “fully eliminate” traffic fatalities in the city by changing the design of streets and traffic enforcement. Only time will tell if the mayor will be successful or not, but it is a noble pursuit. New York State sees around 1,100 traffic fatalities a year, and over 100,000 injury crashes.
The Bottom Line
Navigating New York State’s roads can be tricky, especially in urban areas like Buffalo, Albany, and NYC. If you are studying to get your license, or need a refresher on traffic safety and law, the state put together a nice guide which can be found here. If you need help navigating New York’s insurance law, we can help! Call us to speak to a live agent. He or she will be able answer all your questions, and get you on the road quickly, without a huge dent to your wallet.
If you need to register a vehicle, or just want to check for cheaper insurance rates, we have you covered.
We Have Your Town Covered!
- Cheap Car Insurance Albany
- Cheap Car Insurance Auburn
- Cheap Car Insurance Binghamton
- Cheap Car Insurance Buffalo
- Cheap Car Insurance Elmira
- Cheap Car Insurance Glen Cove
- Cheap Car Insurance Ithica
- Cheap Car Insurance Jamestown
- Cheap Car Insurance Kingston
- Cheap Car Insurance Long Beach NY
- Cheap Car Insurance Middletown
- Cheap Car Insurance Mount Vernon
- Cheap Car Insurance New Rochelle
- Cheap Car Insurance New York City
- Cheap Car Insurance Newburgh
- Cheap Car Insurance Niagara Falls
- Cheap Car Insurance North Tonawanda
- Cheap Car Insurance Poughkeepsie
- Cheap Car Insurance Rochester
- Cheap Car Insurance Rome
- Cheap Car Insurance Saratoga Springs
- Cheap Car Insurance Schenectady
- Cheap Car Insurance Syracuse
- Cheap Car Insurance Troy
- Cheap Car Insurance Utica
- Cheap Car Insurance Watertown
- Cheap Car Insurance White Plains
- Cheap Car Insurance Yonkers