Get a Quote
Jersey City is the second most populous city in New Jersey after Newark. As of 2015, the Census Bureau’s Population Estimates Program calculated that Jersey City’s population was 264,290. Also in 2014, Forbes magazine moved its headquarters to Jersey City, having been awarded a $27 million tax grant in exchange for bringing 350 jobs to the city over a ten-year period. 46% of Jersey City residents say they take public transportation to work, another 8% walk. There are also a great many options for public transportation (see below). However, if you’re part of the other half of the population that still needs to commute by car, take the time to explore all the options for cheap car insurance Jersey City can offer.
Cheap Car Insurance Jersey City Requirements
If you are caught driving without insurance you will face a fine between $300 and $1,000, a period of community services, and loss of your driver’s license for one year. New Jersey hopes that these stiff penalties will help lower the rate of uninsured drivers, and ultimately help consumers by lowering auto insurance rates.
- The state mandates that a “Basic Policy” be available to drivers who are facing financial hardship (usually reserved for young drivers), and includes:
- $15,000 of Personal Injury Protection
- $5,000 Property Damage liability
- This policy is the typical split-limit liability policy and includes the following minimum coverages:
- Bodily Injury liability: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
- Property Damage liability: $5,000
- Personal Injury Protection: $15,000 per person or accident
Public Transportation In Jersey City
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail: One of the most popular forms of transportation in the city. Of the 24 HBLR stations that connect its three terminus points, 13 are located in Jersey City.
- PATH: 24-hour rapid transit system with four stations in Jersey City
- Hoboken Terminal–NJ Transit Hoboken Division
- The Journal Square Transportation Center, Exchange Place and Hoboken Terminal are major origination/destination points for buses.
- Also serving Jersey City are various lines operated by Academy Bus and A&C Bus.
- As of 2016 two Taiwanese airlines, China Airlines and EVA Air, provide private bus services to and from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City for customers based in New Jersey. These bus services stop in Jersey City