Get a Quote
Melbourne has an estimated 2015 population of over 80,127 and is located approximately 60 miles southeast of Orlando on the Space Coast, along Interstate 95. The city is also home to the Florida Institute of Technology. This is a private doctoral/research university in and has six academic divisions with emphases on science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), and aviation. The university’s 130-acre primary residential campus is located near the Melbourne International Airport and the Florida Tech Research Park. It is about 50 miles from the Kennedy Space Center and 75 miles from Orlando. Due to its location near major highways, many people live here and commute to surrounding cities. This makes it important for residents to understand all the options for cheap car insurance Melbourne has to offer.
Cheap Car Insurance Melbourne Requirements
- Florida state is a “no-fault,” meaning that an individual’s insurance company covers their losses regardless of fault.
- Florida requires a minimum of $10,000 for Personal Injury Protection.
- Florida also requires a minimum of $10,000 Property Damage Liability.
- Driving without insurance in Florida can result in a suspension of your registration or driving privileges, and a reinstatement fee of between $150 and $500, plus the cost of insurance.
- Keep your mileage low. Most insurance companies take your annual mileage into account when calculating your rates. After all, the more you drive the better your chances of getting into an accident. If you can carpool, bike, or take public transportation to work, it’s worth considering. You might save a lot on your auto insurance.
- Most insurance professionals will agree that the best way to save money is to check your rates against competitors. We suggest doing so at least twice a year (more, if possible).
Public Transportation In Melbourne
- Local bus service is run by Space Coast Area Transit, which has two free routes for Melbourne residents, and runs throughout the surrounding area. This can save you a lot of money if you can commute daily by bus. Residents who leave their cars at home during the week usually pay less for their auto insurance.