Obtain The Knowledge You Will Want To Tackle SR22 Insurance
When a late night outing with friends turns into a DUI and revoked license, you will want to have SR22 insurance. There happens to be a few reason why you might want this type of extra insurance, but drunk driving is an epidemic in the United States. Driving under the influence of alcohol happens more than you might think. And if you are out on the road, you might be surprised to realize how many people are not completely sober. Alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 29% of the total vehicle traffic fatalities in 2017. Over ten thousand people every year die in alcohol related car crashes. One one million people are arrested for being under the influence every year.
Theses statistics are only the beginning. When it comes to cheap Sr22 insurance, you will find that you’ll need it for more than just drunk driving. Over due parking tickets and excessive violations within a certain time period are other reasons you might need extra insurance. You will need this insurance because your drivers license will be revoked. This means that your license will be taken away for about three years, depending on the state you live in.
Driving on substances that impair judgement can also mean marijuana and pills. Many times when you are “under the influence” of a substance, you will be arrested, your car impounded, your license taken away and a hefty fine will be placed on you. You may also need the best cheap SR22 insurance if you are driving without the proper car insurance. This could mean you are driving without insurance at all or do not have enough coverage or the proper coverage. That is why it is so important to talk with a professional before purchasing any type of insurance. Why pay money for something that will not cover you or keep you safe?
When on the road it is everyone’s job to stay safe and keep others safe as well. The best you can do to protect other drivers is by carrying a great insurance policy. When you fail to do this, you could end up paying out of pocket for damages and expenses you weren’t counting on. Whether you live in a state like California or Texas or even Florida, checking with a broker for the best type of cheap SR22 insurance is critical. In this day and age, being safe is a precaution we all must take.
Being Safe On The Road
It isn’t every day that we get into a car crash. In fact you may have never been in a crash. Most of us don’t think of crashing as we are driving. Though statistically those chances can be high. When you drive in a congested area, or in a city without great traffic flow, getting into an accident is not an untouchable act. We are all vulnerable when we put steel and four wheels on the road. This is why it’s important to know what you are up against when driving and not take for granted the fact that there just might be a drunk driver on the road. For regular non-impaired driver crashes, Here are some statistics by state:
The top three states with the most crashes that turn fatal are:
3- Florida- 3100 fatal crashes a year.
2-California- California has about 3600 fatal crashes per year
1-Texas- with around 3700 fatal crashes per year. Texas has the most crashes. It is not the most populated state and doesn’t have the biggest cities but deaths in auto accidents occur more often.
There are many different factors when it comes to crashes and drunk driving. First of all the amount of people on the road will impact the outcome of crashes. The states laws on sober driving and how they deal with it will have an impact on how serisouly drivers take the law. There are consequences to actions, but unless the consequences are big enough, these events will continue to happen.
What is SR22 Insurance?
An SR22 filing is issued by your insurance company to serve as a guarantee to the Department of Motor Vehicles that you have secured the minimum liability coverage required by state law. SR22 coverage is something that is added to your existing auto insurance policy, and your insurance company can then file the form electronically with the Department of Motor Vehicles. SR literally stands for “safety responsibility”. To obtain an SR22 filing, you must purchase minimum liability coverage on all vehicles registered to you, whether they are operational or non-operational. For those who do not own a vehicle, “non-owners” liability coverage is required.
All DUI convictions will remain on DMV’s records for 10 years. The courts and/or DMV may impose more stringent penalties for subsequent violations during that period. You must carry your cheap SR22 insurance documents for three years. This means that you cannot lapse on a payment and you must also carry the minimum amount of car insurance that is required in your state. What is the minimum amount of car insurance needed you might ask. It depends on the state. Some states such as Florida are no fault states so there are different requirements. A good example of a minimum amount of car insurance is Californias law.
For example, the California state minimum requirement for auto insurance is as follows:
- Bodily Injury Liability Limits: $30,000 per occurrence/ $15,000 per person
- Property Damage Liability Limits: $5,000 per occurrence
The above minimum requirements only cover the other party involved if you are in an accident. Most likely, if you have had some trouble with the law and are now needing auto insurance, you should probably obtain full coverage. You will want full coverage if you have a car that is under a lease contract or you have a loan that is not paid for. Even though Uninsured Motorist is not mandatory by law, about 20% of all drivers lack proper coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage is very cheap and it would be a good idea to have it even with your minimum coverage.
Here are the other options for full coverage:
- Collision coverage will cover you and your car in case of an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage will cover theft and other types of damages.
- Uninsured Motorist coverage will still cover you even if the other party fails to have insurance.
- Towing and Roadside Assistance are great option when searching for insurance. This could covered tows as well as battery jump starts and emergency key entry.
- Glass coverage is an added coverage for any broken glass on your car.
The Truth About Breaking The Law
The hard truth about breaking the law no matter how it’s done is there is a time period of repentance. For most states you will need to show that you are a responsible person for three years. This means paying for your insurance and the best cheap SR22 insurance. During this time period you must not get into any more accidents (in fact you shouldn’t be driving with
out a license). It is common for people to struggle during this time because we use our cars for so much. Don’t be above taking public transportation. Remember that second and third offenses are more harsh no matter what state you live in.
In many states you might even be required to put a device in your car after the three year period when you start driving again. This device will tell if you have been drinking or not. This device prevents you from starting your car if you have a positive alcohol level. Most of the time it takes ten years for your DUI conviction to come off of your record. Don’t be alarmed. When you get your drivers license suspended or revoked, this is a”red flag” according to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Anytime you need to have SR22 insurance, you are considered a “high-risk” driver. Because of this your insurance policy may be more expensive. You fall short of any “good-driver” discounts. You may have to pay more for your insurance for the next few years. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Why You Will Want A Broker
Bottom line, when you are dealing with getting SR22 insurance your insurance company or broker need to facilitate this for you. Talking to someone who is experienced in this field and has dealt with this sort of issue before will only help you. It can’t hinder you to talk with someone who knows the business of insurance. But you will also want to ensure that your process with the DMV goes smoothly. Talking with a broker might also make you realize that you are not the only one dealing with this issue. Thousands of SR22 insurance cases come across a brokers desk every year. Giving you a chance to understand your rights as well as the law of your state is most important.
Without A Car You Can’t Get Far
The truth of the matter is that without a car, you won’t be able to do the things you once did such as get to your job. That is a very important reason to have a vehicle in the first place. If you think that your livelihood will be in jeopardy, you can always look for other options. Most people choose to either carpool with friends or relatives or co-workers. There might be great public transportation in your city as well. Check out how you can find bus routes and subway routes now and prepare for life without a car. Understand that motorcyclists are held to the same standard as those who drive a vehicle. In fact if you are riding a motorcycle and driving drunk, you are putting yourself at the greatest risk of death. It is unsafe to ride a bike and be intoxicated.
Make sure that you are kind to yourself during this process. We all make stupid decisions. As long as no one is hurt, think of your revoked drivers license as a learning opportunity. Maybe you can use this time to reach out to others and make them more aware of the process. A DUI can costs thousands of dollars and possible jail time. This is a big deal and people should be educated about what can happen. If you take this “bad thing” that is happening in your life and make is a positive, you will come out the other side a winner.
Terms You Should Recognize Before Talking With A Broker
- Broker- someone who compares and finds insurance policies for the consumer. They do not represent a particular agency but rather the consumer.
- Carrier is another name for an insurance company.
- Defensive driving course- a traffic safety course which improves driving. It may be taken to prevent a citation from going onto your records.
- Driving under the influence- Driving a motor vehicle when under the affects of drugs or alcohol. Each state has it’s own legal limit for alcohol use. If you are above this limit, you will be given a citation. Every state has their own penalties for this action and costs vary as well.
- Financial responsibility laws- Laws that make it illegal to not have the minimum state standards of insurance.
- Licensed driver- is someone who has fulfilled the states requirement for driving a vehicle and has been issued a valid license.
- High-risk driver: What is a “high-risk” driver? A high-risk driver is one who, according to an insurance company, has a higher risk of getting into an accident, or getting a DUI or in general breaking the law. Insurance companies base everything that they do on statistics. If you have previously had a DUI or have had your license revoked for any reason, you are a high-risk driver.
Positives Words Of Affirmation
- I will get through this and even though it might take a while, I will spend the time wisely, making smart choices.
- My broker has my best interests in mind and I feel confident that he will take care of my needs as an insurance holder.
- I will surround myself with positive people who will hold me accountable during this time.
- It’s in my best interest to work hard to overcome any financial hardships during this time and continue working so I can pay my fees on time.
- I give myself permission to let the past be the past and move forward after all is said and done.
- I will always pay attention and be careful when out on the road. Having a revoked license is not fun and I am smart enough to not repeat my mistakes.
- I will be back in the drivers seat once again and can eventually retain my reputation as a good driver.
Knowing what cheap SR22 insurance you need and what regular car insurance policy will work for you is key during this time. Don’t wait to call a broker because you will need to obey the laws that apply to you as soon as possible. Whether you have faced jail time or a heft fee, there will be a time when you look back and realize you made the right choice. You are not in this alone.