Shreveport has a history that stretches back to 1836, and at various times in its history has rivaled New Orleans in terms of tourist traffic. Some of that is owed to the fact that a number of casinos and gaming business are located in and around the city. Because of its high property taxes, many residents choose to live on the outskirts of the city and commute in, which can sometimes pose traffic concerns, but all in all the city is a comfortable and easy place to live. Residents can choose from a number of options for cheap insurance Shreveport agents can offer.
Factors that affect your rates in Shreveport:
- Crime statistics: Auto theft rates are low. In fact, there were only about 460 auto thefts in 2012 according to FBI national data.
- Cost of living: Shreveport’s cost of living index is 15% lower than the national average, and 11% lower than Louisiana’s. It’s no wonder the city continues to grow! Especially when you consider the job opportunities in the growing service and gaming industries.
- Where you live: Rates are going to vary within the city itself. This means that, for certain coverage, you will pay more in neighborhoods like Allendale or Hyde Park. If you’re thinking of relocating, be sure to get quotes for your new neighborhood so you know what changes you can expect on your policy’s rates.
- Your state’s coverage requirements: Louisiana has specific insurance requirements which set the base rates for the state. After that, depending on what you add, your rates will go up a bit. Keep in mind that additional liability is generally a cheaper addition than things like comprehensive and collision coverage.
- Uninsured motorist statistics: Louisiana has around a 14% uninsured motorist rate.