Fresno is the 5th largest city in California, and the largest in the Central Valley. The cost of living index sits right at the national average. Compared to the rest of California, the city is inexpensive. This is especially apparent in the number of options for cheap car insurance that Fresno has available.
It is in an agent’s best interest to find you the cheapest price. However, you also want to make sure you are getting proper coverage. Make sure the following information is accurate and complete before you buy:
- Your correct marital status
- Your correct Driver’s License number
- Be up front about any tickets or accidents you may have had. Doing so can help avoid surprise rate increases.
- Make sure your car’s VIN number is included, and correct.
- Make sure you review your coverage before you sign, and any special restrictions. For instance, some policies will double your deductible if you have an accident the first month.
- Make sure all fees are fully disclosed, including broker fees, early cancellation fees, or billing fees.
If you have a clean driving record, your automatically receive the Good Driver Discount. Some factory additions to your vehicle, like anti-lock breaks, airbags, or anti-theft devices, give you automatic discounts as well. Here are some additional discounts that you may want to ask your agent about:
- Education discount (sometimes given for Bachelors or advanced degrees)
- Multi-policy discount (for having two or more policies with the same company)
- Driver Courses (given for drivers who pass a state approved safety course)
- Motor Club Membership (AAA or Road America might make you eligible)
- Business/Industry (some medical, insurance, or other professions are eligible)
- Defensive Driver (given for older drivers who take the safety course)
- Credit Union Member
The average annual auto insurance premium hovers just under $1,100. Using public transportation will also help keep your annual mileage low, and car insurance companies will usually lower your rates accordingly.