Renters insurance does not cover broken windows in your home or vehicle, but the personal liability coverage in your renters insurance policy will cover a broken window in someone else’s home if you are determined to be liable. In certain circumstances, your renters insurance policy will also cover you if your home is made uninhabitable due to a broken window. 

Broken windows damage to the building itself and other maintenance issues are your landlord’s responsibility and should be covered under their policy. 

What Does Renters Insurance Cover?

Renters insurance covers your personal property that is damaged or destroyed during certain types of events. Read your policy thoroughly to learn exactly what it covers and under what conditions, but most policies cover damage or loss of your property due to the following: 

  • Fire and smoke
  • Vandalism
  • Theft from a burglary or break-in
  • An explosion
  • A Riot

What Renters Insurance Does Not Cover

Typically, renters insurance does not cover your loss of property under certain conditions, including some natural disasters. You would need a separate policy or, in some states, you can add on additional optional coverage under your policy. Not covered by renters insurance are items damaged by the following: 

  • Floods
  • Earthquakes 

When Does Renters Insurance Cover Broken Windows?

If your home or apartment is unsafe or uninhabitable because of a broken window, your renters insurance policy would cover your expenses in certain circumstances. 

If the window was broken during a break-in or due to vandalism and it renders your home unsafe or uninhabitable due to weather, the loss-of-use coverage in your renters insurance policy would pay for your expenses for your stay in a hotel while your home is being repaired.

How to File a Renters Insurance Claim

If you have a loss that is covered under your renters insurance, you will need to document the loss and gather certain documents before you file your claim. 

First, document the loss or losses by photographing the damage and reporting the loss to the police and to your landlord. Do this right away, as most policies require you to file a claim within 24 to 72 hours. Look at your policy to see what the requirements are and be sure to contact your insurer within the allotted time frame. Before you contact them, make sure you have the following information:

  • A copy of your policy with policy number
  • A police report if one was filed
  • Documentation of the damage via photos or videos 
  • Copies of receipts for any stolen items
  • Your current contact info (telephone number, email address)

You Might Also Like