Your Stages Of Life With A Car By Your Side
The American culture is full of cars, tires, tow trucks, steering wheels, gasoline and miles of roads.
We build much of our lives around our vehicles.
They are our mode of transportation, the way some of us make our living and a symbol of status.
The greatest gift from one man to the other was the invention of the wheel.
And ever since then, we have been growing and thriving with the help of industry.
The automobile comes with complications.
It comes with a motor that does not run forever and must be maintained.
With cheap insurance quotes and drunk driving tickets.
It comes with SR22 insurance documentation, and court dates.
The cars complications extend to building garages, and blown out tires as well as loans and payments.
But cars bring us joy, get us from one place to another and most likely help bring us income.
Whether you commute in your car, drag the family around or keep it precisely manicured, your car is important.
Here are what your life looks like with a car…
Passing your driving test at fifteen or sixteen?
We spend a couple years of our youth focusing on the big day when we will have our very first car.
The freedom that comes with passing a drivers test.
We practice, borrow our parents car, and buckle our seat belts.
Here are the best ways to help pass a drivers test:
- Show up on time and have all of the proper paper work filled out.
- Have an idea of what to expect. Maybe practice the test with your teen before they go in for the real thing.
- Have insurance ready for your car before you get your license. If you want to drive off the DMV lot with your teen, make sure they are covered under your car insurance policy.
Here are the car insurance information you may need:
There is a minimum amount of insurance that you must have in California:
- Bodily Injury Liability Limits: $30,000 per occurrence/ $15,000 per person
- Property Damage Liability Limits: $5,000 per occurrence
These cheap car insurance options will only protect the other party involved in a crash. There are other options which will protect your and your own vehicle.
- Collision coverage will protect you and your own car and cover costs for you.
- Comprehensive coverage will cover things such as dings and scrapes as well as theft from your car.
- Medical coverage for you and your passengers- Medical coverage can make a huge difference for your security and safety.
- Towing and roadside assistance- You may not only need this for a crash, but if you break down. Roadside assistance can save you time and money.
- Rental reimbursement- You could be covered or reimbursed for a rental car when you are involved in a crash.
Why Is My Drivers License So Important?
Your drivers license is special and important in so many ways.
First, it is the only way you can legally drive in the United States.
If you are without a drivers license for any reason and are driving, you could have huge fines imposed on you.
Here are some reasons why your license could be revoked:
- Excessive violations within a certain time frame.
- Driving without insurance.
- Outstanding traffic or parking fines.
- At-fault accidents while uninsured.
- Reckless driving.
If you have had your license taken away for any reason, you will need to attain SR22 insurance documentation.
- Driving is so important that most states have ways to help you gain it back even if you have been involved in a drunk driving accident.
- An SR22 filing is issued by your insurance company to serve as a guarantee to the Department of Motor Vehicles that you have secured the minimum liability coverage required by state law.
- SR22 coverage is something that is added to your existing auto insurance policy, and your insurance company can then file the form electronically with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
This serious penalty will cost you.
But in three years or less you could have your drivers license reinstated.
But what is SR22 insurance?
- SR22 Insurance is a vehicle liability document required by the Department of Motor Vehicles for “high-risk” drivers. It is a document issued by your insurance company showing proof that you are carrying the minimum amount of auto insurance required in your state.
- SR literally stands for “safety responsibility”. You will need this documentation for three years. You will also need to carry the minimum amount of liability insurance offered in your sate.
- Before you even think about the negatives that could happen to you with your license, you first need to attain it. When you show up to your test, make sure that your car is in tip-top condition. You will want to have the breaks and steering checked. Fill the tank. Make sure that you have driven the car you will be using for your test. And don’t try to impress you driving teachers or test giver. Stay away from stick-shifts and just drive safely.
Buying Your Very First Car
Maybe you won’t have the funds to purchase your first car in high school.
But one day you will put a down payment on your first real car and can say that it is completely yours.
To do this you will want to do a little research first. Figure out what kind of car will suit your needs most.
Do you drive a lot? Do you feel more comfortable with a small car? How much money do you have to spend?
Take a few weeks just researching.
If at all possible, have cash ready so that you can make an offer and have some bartering room.
If you can’t do that, at least try and stay under budget. Your budget should also include car insurance.
Your first car will most likely get the most trashed.
If you are under 25, you will pay the most for your car insurance.
Just keep this in mind when purchasing car insurance. Go ahead and pay for the full coverage.
You won’t want to compromise on this when you are young.
The Middle Years
Your car preference may change with time. Your first car could be a small Toyota Corolla.
They best cars to look at in your middle years are crossovers.
They have the speed you might be looking for but also the safety features.
You may want to keep this car for ten years and use it for your growing family.
They best part about being in your thirties and having a little money in the bank is getting that new car you have always wanted.
The best cars for your family and working life are these:
- Toyota Highlander- this SUV is large and beautiful. With all of the features you love from Toyota, this car is an upgrade in every way. Get the leather seats and enjoy all of the new technology as well.
- Honda Pilot is comparable to the Highlander but in a smaller package. Some people just really love Hondas because they are so reliable.
- The Hyundai Sonata is a large sedan with a great price tag. Get your back up camera and easy to wipe off seats with a 25 thousand dollar price tag.
- The Honda Odyssey is the best van on the market and won’t embarrass you to drive either. With everything that the new sedans have, this van will impress you until the very end.
- Subaru Outback is making a comeback. Not only does it have great safety features but this hatchback style car is open and roomy. You can stuff all of the kids plus a dog in this little sedan and feel like your vision won’t be compromised.
Traveling With The Best
- When your family is a little older, you may plan on taking a road trip or two. When you do, make sure you have the right vehicle for the job. Most people love their cars because they can multitask. For instance, a van has removable seats so you can easily fit groceries and animals in the back. They are also great for road trips because of this. All of your luggage can easily be stored. Some people prefer a truck so that they can haul a trailer for camping. It just depends on what works best for your family.
- Over the generations, our family vehicles in America have morphed. From a VW wagon to a FJ Cruiser, styles have changed and so have the dynamic between car and human. We once used it as a tool. But now we actually enjoy driving them. Who wouldn’t? They have back up cameras and bluetooth technology.
- Traveling with your car means upping your insurance, packing some chains and getting outdoors. You may feel like camping or maybe a family road trip hopping from hotel room to hotel room. Whatever you pleasure, road trips are a way of life for the American and their vehicles.
Retiring With Your Car
When you are done using your car for those long commutes to work.
Or those traveling expeditions with the family, you will want to sit back and relax.
Maybe you have saved for that dream car. Or maybe your spouse just finally gave in.
- Is it a red corvette? Or maybe that Dodge Viper you have always drooled over. The main reason you want a new car in retirement is because you can actually afford to get the one you want. Not the one that the family needs. Or the one with the best safety ratings, but a car that fits your style and wallet.
- Selling your old car and upgrading to your “best car yet” can mean sacrificing your finances. Sometimes retirement means living on a budget even more than you ever thought.
Here are the best and coolest cars to retire with in your lifetime:
- A Buick Encore is a great choice. Not only is it pretty and shiny, but very safe. It is large and drives like a Cadillac. You may even like the Buick brand because it has been around as long as you have. The nostalgia will help make this decision.
- Honda CRV is one of the safest vehicles on the road. Honda not only has great reputation for safety but maintenance as well. You will spend the least amount of money on this car compared to others. Take a leap of faith and go try one today.
- Toyota Avalon is the bigger sister to the Camry. With more luxury and style, it appeals to retirees. It will last and look good while doing it. Only pay around 30 thousand dollars for this great sedan.
- Lexus RX350 is a fancy little SUV with style for the century. It is modern looking with a classic style. Don’t be fooled by the leather seats and beautiful exterior. You can purchase this new for only 38 thousand dollars. You can also find them used for around 20 thousand.
- Mercedes Benz 350. This car is a classic Mercedes Model and a real head turner. You may pay more for tires and parts, but the style is impeccable. You will feel safe and comfortable driving it as well. It is the most expensive retiree listing here at 50 thousand dollars for a brand new model.
Cars Are A Great Gift
Whether it’s a gift for your teen or a Christmas surprise for the wife, you will surely make an impression with a gift of a car.
You might also want to consider giving your older car up as a donation.
This form of a gift is a huge tax write off and could make a huge difference.
You can donate your car to an organization such as Capital Public Radio.
This non-profit radio station takes cars in and restores them to resell. It gives them an opportunity to make money.
Anyway that you give a car, make sure that you follow all of the Department of Motor Vehicles laws and regulations.
Americans are infatuated with their cars. They truly cannot live without them.
This means that car dealerships will always stay in business as well as insurance agencies.
Although times are changing. The car world has to adapt to the different technologies applied to newer models.
If we continue as a culture to adapt and reform our car habits, we will continue to love them and use them.
It is when we stand still, that we lose all progression.
The best gift to truly give someone is an education about cars and how they are to be used…
- Use them with respect.
- Don’t drink and drive
- Abide by all of the laws of your state
- Register your car and carry the proper car insurance.
- It is always better to be over insured than under insured
- Maintain your car and read the users manual
- Remember that you are driving a large body of steel on wheels. It can be dangerous. Know your limits as a driver.