What A DUI or DWI Can Do To Your Life
If you have ever had a DUI or DWI, you need to read this.
Get informed about what SR22 is and how it can work for you.
If you live in a state like Arizona, you need Sr22 insurance.
You should know how to get the best discounts on car and motorcycle insurance even if you are a “high-risk”driver.
What do you need to know about the cheap SR22 insurance Arizona residents need?
How can you get your life back together after you have been financially damaged?
What are the laws surrounding drunk driving?
How long must you attain this type of financial responsibility documentation?
You can have all of the answers and make the right choices by following these simple rules and laws regarding cheap SR22 insurance.
Getting a DUI doesn’t have to be the end of the road.
For many drivers it is only a bump in the road.
Make sure that you have a qualified broker to help you through this process.
Give up the drinking and start being a smarter driver today.
What States Require SR22 Insurance?
Here are the states that do not require SR22 :
Even if these states do not require this filing, you must keep SR22 insurance if you are moving to a state that requires it.
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
But even when you visit to these other states, you will need to require the SR22 documentation because you are still required by law in the state you live in to attain it.
Don’t evade paying for this financial responsibility in any state.
The states that do not require cheap SR22 insurance, they may have other requirements.
Know what the laws of your state are.
Many states are like Arizona, and require you to have SR22 insurance as well as your regular insurance.
Getting the cheap insurance Arizona brokers want you to have means shopping around.
The best feeling in the world is knowing that you are on the same side of the law.
These laws are put into existence for a purpose.
Even states that do not require SR22 insurance, doesn’t mean you can go out drinking and then get into a vehicle.
The standards for every are the same.
You cannot drive a car with a .08% blood alcohol rate.
What is SR22 insurance?
- SR22 Insurance is a vehicle liability document required by the Department of Motor Vehicles for “high-risk” drivers. It is a document issued by your insurance company showing proof that you are carrying the minimum amount of auto insurance required in your state. SR literally stands for “safety responsibility”.
- SR22 coverage is added to your existing auto insurance policy. Your insurance company can file the form electronically with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- To obtain an SR22 filing, you must purchase minimum liability coverage on all vehicles registered to you, whether they are operational or non-operational. For those who do not own a vehicle, “non-owners” liability coverage is required.
- SR22 insurance is put in place to keep other drivers out on the road safe. You are not a bad person because you had a revoked license, however you need to be held accountable. Every state has a different way of doing this.
- Thousands of people are killed each year by drunk drivers, and even more are seriously injured. Second, drunk driving is illegal in all 50 states.
Who needs SR22 insurance?
SR22 documentation is “proof of financial responsibility” for drivers who have had their licenses
revoked or suspended for any number of reasons, including:
- Excessive violations within a certain time frame.
- Driving without insurance.
- Outstanding traffic or parking fines.
- At-fault accidents while uninsured.
- Reckless driving.
- Driving without insurance. This is the biggest risk one could take. When you drive without insurance you are not only putting yourself at risk but others out on the road. When you do not have insurance but are the cause of an accident, you leave the other party stranded. They must then pay for their own damages out of pocket. Unless one carries Uninsured Motorist coverage, this could be devastating to a driver.
- Outstanding traffic or parking fines. Paying late or never paying on tickets given, can be a huge detriment to your driving record. Pay your fines on time and go to traffic school to get those violations off of your record.
How Can I Get Cheap SR22 Insurance?
There are many ways to attain cheap SR22 insurance.
Call an insurance company or go online and fill out a form.
But the best way to get the knowledge you need to make a great decision for yourself, is to call a broker.
Brokers are there to work for the consumer which is you .
A broker has the professional background in insurance to give you the best policy discounts.
- The first thing you need to do is contact your car insurance company. In most states there is a $15 to $25 fee to file the SR22.
Here are some questions to ask a broker:
- Which coverage is right for me based on my circumstances?
- What are some ways I can save money on my cheap car insurance?
- How much will SR22 insurance?
- Am I considered a “high-risk” driver?
- When do I need to file for SR22?
- How long will I need to have my SR22 insurance?
- Do I need to take any driver safety courses?
- How will this affect my premiums?
What kind of insurance do I need to attain SR22 documentation?
You will need whatever the minimum amount of car insurance is in your state.
Getting cheap car insurance in Arizona for example is easy and the limits are pretty standard.
Every state is different but every state does require car insurance.
When you are dealing with motorcycle insurance, not every state requires you to be insured.
This is where a broker can help you.
Here is an example of the minimum amount of insurance you could need:
- Bodily Injury Liability Limits: $30,000 per occurrence/ $15,000 per person
- Property Damage Liability Limits: $5,000 per occurrence
The above minimum requirements only cover the other party involved if you are in an accident.
Most likely, if you have had some trouble with the law and are now needing auto insurance, you should probably obtain full coverage.
You will need full coverage car insurance if you have a loan out on your vehicle or lease one.
Here are the other options for full coverage:
- Collision coverage will cover you and your car in case of an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage will cover theft and other types of damages.
- Uninsured Motorist coverage will still cover you even if the other party fails to have insurance.
- Towing and Roadside Assistance are great option when searching for insurance. This could covered tows as well as battery jump starts and emergency key entry.
You can bundle your car insurance policy with another policy such as homeowners or renters insurance and save.
What Should I Know About Sr22 Insurance?
You need to know about the laws of your state when researching for SR22 insurance.
You also need to know how payments work and how long you need SR22 documentation.
But more than anything, be educated about what the terms are the your broker is talking to you about.
Here are some terms you should know when purchasing insurance:
- Broker- someone who compares and finds insurance policies for the consumer. They do not represent a particular agency but rather the consumer.
- Carrier is another name for an insurance company.
- Defensive driving course- a traffic safety course which improves driving. It may be taken to prevent a citation from going onto your records.
- Driving under the influence- Driving a motor vehicle when under the affects of drugs or alcohol. Each state has it’s own legal limit for alcohol use. If you are above this limit, you will be given a citation. Every state has their own penalties for this action and costs vary as well.
- Financial responsibility laws- Laws that make it illegal to not have the minimum state standards of insurance.
- Licensed driver- is someone who has fulfilled the states requirement for driving a vehicle and has been issued a valid license.
- Proof of coverage is a written document which shows insurance coverage for a specific property for a specific time.
- Risk ratio- are all risk factors associated with a policy holder and their property that determines the insurance premium.
What is the penalty for a DUI?
- For your first DUI offense, most states will misdemeanor and fine you up to $2,600. You will also have your license revoked or could spend 6 months in county jail. You may also have to pay fees for a lawyer which could range in the thousands.
- For a blood alcohol level of .15% or higher you could be charged with ten months in jail and have your car taken away.
- Even though you will only need to attain SR22 insurance for three years, your DUI will stay on your record for 7 years. That is a long time! During this time, you can show your responsibility by taking driver safety courses and pay off any remaining fines.
- Outstanding traffic or parking fines. If your traffic tickets start to pile up, you will need to not only pay them, but go to traffic safety school to get these penalties off of your record. If you get your license revoked because of this, you’ll need Sr22 insurance.
- Reckless driving. When you are driving recklessly, you put others in danger. This could mean swerving or erratic behavior behind the wheel. A police officer must have probable cause to pull you over.
- The minimum period for SR22 filing is three years. But based on the severity of the violation(s) and whether or not your liability policy stays active, it could be longer. During this time period you must keep your insurance active by making all your payments on time. Most importantly, make sure you keep a clean driving record.
How Can I Get My Life Back After A Revoked License?
- Every day almost 30 people will die due to an alcohol related car accident. That is a lot! Drunk driving is an epidemic in the United States. This is one reason why the laws surrounding a DUI are so strict.
- In 2015, 10 thousand people died in an alcohol related crash. This estimate is 30% of all car crashes for that year.
You are not the first person to go through this.
Whether you got a DUI or had outstanding tickets, you broke the law.
Make it right again by gaining the insurance you need.
To get your life back after a revoked license, you need to follow these steps:
- Calm down and get organized. Get your family on your side and have a great support system. Just because you made a mistake doesn’t mean you don’t deserve more.
- Talk to a broker and get the best cheap SR22 insurance that you need. Attain the car or motorcycle insurance you will need to start driving or riding again.
- Pay for this insurance for three years minimum and do not lapse on your payments.
- Make sure that you ask about discounts. You will be what is called a “high-risk” driver after you have had a revoked license.
- Do not drink and drive again and follow all laws of your state from this day forward.
- Last but not least, give yourself permission to let the past be the past.
High-Risk = Pay Attention
- High-risk driver: What is a “high-risk” driver? A high-risk driver is one who, according to an insurance company, has a higher risk of getting into an accident, or getting a DUI or in general breaking the law. Insurance companies base everything that they do on statistics. If you have previously had a DUI or have had your license revoked for any reason, you are a high-risk driver.
- Citation: A violation of either moving or non-moving laws in which an official serves a ticket to the person at fault. You do not want to have one of these on your record while you have SR22. You need to keep a clean record if you want to have your full rights back as a licensed driver.
- There are high-risk assistance programs throughout the United States.
- A high-risk driver is defined as someone who is risky for an insurance company to insure because of their poor driving record. Understand that if you need SR22 insurance than this is probably you.
- You may be even considered a high risk driver if you have had more than one auto accident. Insurance companies take risks when they gamble on high risk drivers. This means that most of the time your insurance will be more than those who are good drivers. A DUI stays on your record for up to seven years.
This is the time when you need to pay attention and be careful on the road.
There are consequences for your actions.
But have no fear because there is a way to get you back to your real life.
You want to be back in the drivers seat.
Know the facts before you start down the road of attaining the cheap SR22 insurance you really need.