When The Worst Happens, What Do You Do?
The Holiday season brings out the best in us. But it also brings out the worst at times.
When drinking this holiday season, remember that there can be consequences.
Drinking under the influence of alcohol is life altering.
When you are pulled over for being intoxicated, not only is it embarrassing and shameful, but it could cost you a lot of money.
Having the right cheap SR22 insurance could mean saving you a ton of money as well as giving you peace of mind.
Most people that are in this predicament, don’t realize what they have done until it is too late.
Be informed now and know what to expect with the process of attaining a financial responsibility document.
Just because you did a bad thing, doesn’t mean you are a bad person.
There are ways to redeem yourself.
Let’s look at what SR22 insurance is and how it effects your life in a positive way.
Statistics For Drunk Driving
During the holiday months, we all like to let loose and have a good time.
Holiday parties are a social gathering where loved ones come together.
There is nothing wrong with that. But, if you choose to drink and drive, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but others.
Most states find this hard to understand. There are specific reasons we have a police force and a governing body: it is to protect its citizens.
That is why there are so many laws in place to recognize that driving drunk is a choice and should not be allowed.
To allow one to drive drunk is to allow chaos.
And even though states differ in the ways they regulate this, they all have one thing in common: drunk driving kills and should be monitored carefully.
Here are some statistics on drunk driving during the holiday season:
- 40% of highway deaths during the holidays are alcohol related. This is not including injuries!
- New Years has the worst statistics with almost 58% of highway deaths being alcohol related.
- 96% of adults go to work hungover the day after a holiday party.
- Traffic stops also increase during the holiday season. You are more likely to get pulled over on a routine DUI traffic stop than any other time of year.
- The holiday season is the number one time for drunk driving to occur. The day before Thanksgiving and New Years Eve tend to be very high for alcohol consumption.
- The center of addiction states that loud music, sweet tasting drinks and peer pressure lead to large consumptions of alcohol.
What Is Sr22 Insurance Anyway?
When you are intoxicated while driving or riding a motorcycle there can be consequences.
If you get a DUI, you will be required to have your license suspended.
When you want your license back, you need to take certain steps in order to attain it.
SR22 insurance is one of those steps.
- SR22 Insurance is a vehicle liability document required by the Department of Motor Vehicles for “high-risk” drivers. It is a document issued by your insurance company showing proof that you are carrying the minimum amount of auto insurance required in your state.
- Being able to drive your own car anytime, and anywhere you want, is a privilege we sometimes take for granted. Having a suspended or revoked drivers license is not just something that happens to drivers convicted of a DUI. Even good drivers can have a string of bad luck. If you have had your license suspended for any reason, you will need to understand all the options for cheap SR22 insurance.
- An SR22 filing is issued by your insurance company to serve as a guarantee to the Department of Motor Vehicles that you have secured the minimum liability coverage required by state law.
There are states that do not require cheap Sr22 insurance. They have their own process for driver reconciliation.
Those states include:
Cheap SR22 Insurance And Insurance In General
You may not even know what types of insurance you should have for your vehicle. That is ok because every state is different.
But if you are caught drinking and driving, at least make sure that an accident is covered for yourself and other parties involved.
Attending parties and social events can trigger fun times and a relaxed sense of self.
Just remember the responsibility that you take on every time you get into a vehicle.
You should take into account your alcohol tolerance level, what types of drinks you are consuming and if you are eating while drinking.
Make sure you know what types of insurance coverage you might need to ensure that others around you are protected as well.
Here are the basics of car insurance to be fully covered:
- Collision coverage will cover you and your car in case of an accident. Your basic liability coverage only covers the other party involved in an accident. This means that if you are at fault, the other drivers and their vehicles will be paid for while yours will not. And if you have been drinking you will be at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage will cover theft and other types of damages. If anything is stolen out of your car, or someone hits it in a parking lot with a shopping cart, you will not be covered without Comprehensive coverage.
- Uninsured Motorist coverage will still cover you even if the other party fails to have insurance. This will only be the case, of course, if they are at fault. This happens more than one might think. Almost 20% of drivers out on the road do not carry insurance.
- Towing and Roadside Assistance is a good option when searching for insurance. This could cover tows as well as battery jump starts and emergency key entry.
- Medical coverage can be purchased to help cover extra medical bills when you are injured in a car accident.
- In most states the minimum coverage is at least liability coverage. Liability only covers the other party involved in the accident, so make sure you look into other options.
Laws And Information You Should Know
- In most states, SR22 insurance is the law. This form will act as a sort of contract holding you accountable for your actions as a driver.
- All states have set a standard of .08% alcohol level for being intoxicated. If you are at or above this level, you are considered intoxicated and could be fined or put in jail.
- For your first DUI offense, most states will misdemeanor and fine you up to $2,600. You will also have your license revoked or could spend 6 months in county jail. You may also have to pay fees for a lawyer which could range in the thousands.
- For a blood alcohol level of .15% or higher you could be charged with ten months in jail and have your car taken away.
- Even though you will only need to attain SR22 insurance for three years, your DUI will stay on your record for 7 years. That is a long time! During this time, you can show yourresponsibility by taking driver safety courses and pay off any remaining fines.
- There must be probably cause to stop and detain a person in order to arrest them for a DUI. There are ways to fight a DUI. Most likely they will not work because the blood alcohol content in your body speaks for itself.
How Do I File An SR22 Document?
- The first thing you need to do is contact your car insurance company. In most states there is a $15 to $25 fee to file the SR22.
- To obtain an SR22 filing, you must purchase minimum liability coverage on all vehicles registered to you, whether they are operational or non-operational.
- The DMV determines when and if your driver’s license may be reinstated. DMV fees, typically a $10 reinstatement fee, are required to reactivate your driver’s license. In addition, any parking or moving violation judgments or fines will need to be resolved before reinstatement as well.
- You will need to pay for the minimum car or motorcycle coverage through your insurance company. This is usually liability. Even if you don’t own a car you will need to file a non-owner SR22 document.
- California drunk driving fines are some of the harshest in the country. Kentucky has some of the most relaxed fines.
- The worst possible case would be getting a fourth offense within 10 months of your third offense. Let’s be honest, if you are getting pulled over for a fourth time with a DUI, you have a problem with drinking. You could be charged up to $18,000 dollars, have your license revoked for 4 years and spend up to a a year in jail. Do not take this offense lightly!
There are a few other ways that you could need cheap SR22 insurance without getting a DUI.
- Excessive violations within a certain time frame. This means that if you have multiple traffic violations within a small amount of time, the state may find you as a “high-risk” driver. They have the right to revoke your license.
- Driving without insurance. Driving without insurance is one of the most dangerous things you could do for multiple reasons. If you hit another party and injure them, you cannot take care of their medical payments without insurance. You will not be able to pay for damages to your own vehicle as well. If you are drunk and driving without insurance it is a major offense. Make sure you have the proper insurance for your car or motorcycle. Carry this document with you when driving or riding.
- Outstanding traffic or parking fines. If your traffic tickets start to pile up, you will need to not only pay them, but go to traffic safety school to get these penalties off of your record. If you get your license revoked because of this, you’ll need Sr22 insurance.
- At-fault accidents while uninsured. This is the worst case scenario. If you are at-fault in an accident and do not have insurance, you are driving illegally. You will get your license taken away. You will need to take the necessary steps to get your license back just like you would if you had a DUI.
- Reckless driving. When you are driving recklessly, you put others in danger. This could mean swerving or erratic behavior behind the wheel. A police officer must have probable cause to pull you over.
Here are some need-to-know terms about insurance coverage and DUI’s:
- Broker- someone who compares and finds insurance policies for the consumer. That’s you! They do not represent a particular agency but rather the consumer. Take advantage of this by asking them questions pertaining to your policy. Ask them what to expect when dealing with SR22 insurance filings. They are there to work for you and should be able to get you the best possible deal.
- Carrier is another name for an insurance company. The carrier carries the insurance policy. They assess the risk that you the consumer will be to them. The depends on your credit, driving records, where you live and many other sources.
- Defensive driving course- a traffic safety course which improves driving. It may be taken to prevent a citation from going onto your records. You an use these courses to better your driving records and show that you are no longer a “high-risk” driver.
- Driving under the influence- Driving a motor vehicle when under the affects of drugs or alcohol. Each state has it’s own legal limit for alcohol use. If you are above this limit, you will be given a citation. Every state has their own penalties for this action and costs vary as well. Each offense has a different severity of how you are penalized. Your second offense is more severe than your first and your third offense is more severe than your third. Costs can be high for any DUI ticket.
- Financial responsibility laws- Laws that make it illegal to not have the minimum state standards of insurance.
- Licensed driver- is someone who has fulfilled the states requirement for driving a vehicle and has been issued a valid license. To retain your license, you must abide by traffic and safety laws in each state. The less you abide by these laws, the more likely it will be that you are fined and your license revoked.
- Proof of coverage is a written document which shows insurance coverage for a specific property for a specific time. You should keep your proof of coverage and registration in your vehicle at all times. If you are pulled over, you will need to show this documentation.
- Risk ratio- are all risk factors associated with a policy holder and their property that determines the insurance premium. The carrier determines what these are and how much of a risk you as the driver will be.
Knowledge is power when you are dealing with the law.
Know your facts about SR22 insurance.