You may have cheap car insurance, but you do not want the rates to go up. Falling asleep at the wheel will, at the very least, get your rates to rise. At the very most, you might not survive. A couple of quick tips can help keep you awake while on the road and help you avoid the dangers of falling asleep at the wheel.
Tips to avoid falling asleep at the wheel:
- Sleep: Get the recommended amount of sleep every night. If you do not get the proper amount of sleep each night, you put yourself at a higher risk for falling asleep at the wheel. It is important to get enough rest before getting behind the wheel.
- Trade-off: Make sure there are two drivers if taking a long trip. It is especially important if you are planning to drive straight through. Trade drivers every couple of hours so that each person can get a little rest from driving.
- Get a room: If you find yourself getting too tired, get a hotel room for the night. You are not Superman or Superwoman. Human beings need rest in order to function properly. Getting a room for the night might not have been in the plans, but there is nothing wrong with spontaneity.
- Eat right: Proper nutrition will help keep you awake as well. Eat meals on time while on the road. Take snacks such as granola bars to get a quick pick me up between meals. Eating properly is just as important as getting enough rest.
- Turn the radio up: Noise has a tendency to keep people awake. Turn the radio up to avoid falling asleep at the wheel. Play the music loud. Do not choose slow, depressing music though. Choose something upbeat that will get you to move a little bit, something you want to sing along with.
- Cold air: Keep the temperature in the vehicle as cool as possible. Warm air makes you sleepier. The cooler you can keep the temperature, the better. It will help keep you more alert on the road. It does not matter if you roll down the window or turn on the air conditioner as long as the air is cool enough to keep the senses more alert.
Whether you have cheap car insurance on the East Coast or cheap car insurance California, you need to beware of the risks associated with driving when you are exhausted. When you are too tired to go on, it is more dangerous than driving while intoxicated. Heed the above tips to stay awake and aware at the wheel. Every trip on the road should be a round trip. Your family wants you home safe and sound.