Cheap Insurance South Carolina
Driving in South Carolina
The average cost for car insurance in South Carolina has risen to around $1,300 per year. This corresponds to the general nation-wide rise, but is still cheaper than many states. Drivers who haven't re-shopped their policies recently are encouraged to take the time to research all the options for cheap insurance South Carolina offers.
Part of the rise in cost can be attributed to the rise in the rate of uninsured drivers, which is over 11% state-wide. As these rates increase, so do insurance premiums, as companies need to recoup some of the costs associated with accidents caused by uninsured drivers.
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
- While UM (uninsured motorist) coverage is recommended, it is not required by law.
While those are the state minimums, many safety-conscious consumers elect to purchase higher limits, or additional coverage such as Collision and Comprehensive.
Did you know?
- In South Carolina, it’s unlawful to carry a concealed handgun without a permit or in a vehicle except when secured in a glove compartment or trunk.
- There are an estimated 1.7 million drivers on the roads in South Carolina, for 3.8 million registered vehicles.
- Drunk driving arrests rose to almost 18,000 in 2012.
- There were 358 drunk driving fatalities in 2012, which accounts for over 40% of all traffic deaths that year.
The South Carolina DMV's website is the go-to place for any information regarding drivers licenses and vehicle registrations.
The S.C. Department of Insurance has a number of consumer pages on topics ranging from auto insurance to market assistance. You can more information on the auto insurance requirements, as well as a list of companies, agents, and brokers who are licensed in the state.
This is extremely helpful when you are purchasing insurance, as you can quickly determine whether a company has a valid license, and if any complaints have been issued against them.
The statehouse website has an entire page devoted to Insurance Code and Laws.
We Have Your Town Covered!
Average Annual Premiums in South Carolina = $1,108 | via Insure.com
Have questions about auto insurance in your state? Want a quote for car insurance?
Start with your zipcode for a fast, free quote.
OR speak to an agent:
Local South Carolina agencies we can beat in price.
1 Windsor Cv Ste 106
Columbia, SC 29223
3604 Fernandina Rd
Columbia, SC 29210
7234 Garners Ferry Rd
Columbia, SC 29209
4064 W Beltline Blvd
Columbia, SC 29204
3012 Millwood Ave
Columbia, SC 29205