Cheap Insurance Ohio
Driving in Ohio: Statewide Stats
Residents of the Buckeye State enjoy the many choices for cheap insurance Ohio has available, not to mention the low cost! Ohio’s car insurance rates average only $926/year! There are over 9 million licensed drivers in Ohio, with 12 million registered cars on the road. In 2012 there were 287,000 traffic crashes, 1,000 of which were fatal. That may seem like a lot, but it is considerably lower than the national average.
All in all Ohio is a safe and affordable place to drive.
Around 16% of drivers in Ohio are uninsured, which can result in a loss of driving privileges for up to 2 years, up to $650 fine, requirement of financial responsibility filing (SR-22), and even vehicle impound.
Ohio State Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily Injury liability: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Property Damage liability: $25,000
- For a full explanation of the minimum coverages, visit Ohio’s Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Did you know?
- Ohio is within a one-day drive of 50% of the nation’s population, and 70% of its manufacturing, making the state a vital cargo and transportation hub.
- Ohio has experienced over 200 earthquakes since 1776.
- Eight U.S. presidents have hailed from Ohio, giving the state the nickname “Mother of Presidents”.
- The largest industries in the state are manufacturing and financial activities (making up 18% of GDP).
- The trade/transportation/utilities sector employs over 1 million Ohioans (19% of the state’s workforce).
Bureau of Motor Vehicles website
The Ohio BMW website is a central data base and resource center for Ohio drivers. You can find information about vehicle registration, licensing, insurance, and state traffic statistics.
- According to the Century Council, there were a total of 35,629 DUI arrests in 2012.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving reported 385 drunk driving fatalities, and 7,386 alcohol related crashes, for a total taxpayer subsidy of $1.8 billion.
- Ohio does not require an ignition interlock device for convicted drunk drivers, but it does have sobriety checkpoints, child endangerment laws, and license revocation laws.
- First time offenders receive a jail sentence of 3 days minimum, up to 6 months or a 3 day enrollment in a Driver Intervention Program
- Drivers licenses are suspended for up to 3 years, with a $450 reinstatement fee, and up to $1,000 in fines.
The Bottom Line
Ohio is one of the safest states in the nation, with crime rates below the national average. This helps maintain the states low auto insurance costs. Centrally located, with a lot of beautiful landscape, the state is a wonderful place to live and work. The state population is growing steadily, and is projected to keep growing. If you are new to the state, or are a life-long resident, it may be a good time to re-shop your auto insurance policy while rates are still low.
Feel free to give us a call. A live agent can guide you through the process and give you a quote. We pride ourselves on our ability to find the cheapest rates available for your state.
We Have Your Town Covered!
Have questions about auto insurance in your state? Want a quote for car insurance?
Start with your zipcode for a fast, free quote.
OR speak to an agent:
Local Ohio agencies we can beat in price.
1580 Fishinger Rd Ste E
Upper Arlington, OH 43221
3883 E Broad St
Columbus, OH 43213
3590 Twin Creeks Dr
Columbus, OH 43204
777 Goodale Blvd, Suite 200
Columbus, OH 43212
615 Hilliard Rome Rd Ste C
Columbus, OH 43228