Cheap Insurance Minnesota
Driving in Minnesota: Statewide Stats
Minnesota roads can be crowded! Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to save money, especially when exploring the options for cheap insurance Minnesota can offer. Before hitting the road, make sure you’re not only covered, but paying the lowest available rate for that coverage.
There are over 5 million registered vehicles in the state of Minnesota, for 3.3 million licensed drivers. Despite being the 12th largest state in terms of land mass, 60% of the population lives in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metro area (the “Twin Cities”), so as you can expect, auto insurance rates for that territory are significantly higher than the rest of the state.
Despite the excellent public transportation in the major urban areas, there are still higher rates of traffic accidents, as most commuters still prefer their automobiles. Crash Facts compiled by Minnesota Department of Public Safety showed an increase in traffic deaths for the 4th straight consecutive year with 368 in 2011.
- The average annual car insurance premium in Minnesota was $1,360 as of December, 2013.
- When it comes to cars, Minnesota loves the 1990s! The top 5 types of stolen vehicles in Minnesota last year were all from 1995 or earlier.
- The rate of uninsured motorists hovers around 13% statewide.
State Car Insurance Requirements
- The mandatory minimum for bodily injury coverage per person in Minnesota is $30,000.
- The mandatory minimum for bodily injury coverage per accident in Minnesota is $60,000.
- The mandatory minimum for property damage coverage in Minnesota is $10,000.
Did you know?
- Minnesota loves hockey! Eveleth, MN is home to both the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, and the world’s largest authentic hockey stick (weighing 10,000 pounds and standing 110 feet long).
- The state reports the highest percentage of regular exercisers in the nation!
- Early industries revolved around fur trading and agriculture, but today the economy is focused on mining, manufacturing, and technology.
- Some of the silliest laws in the state: It is illegal to cross state lines with a duck atop your head, to sleep naked, drive a motorcycle bare-chested, or enter Wisconsin with a chicken on your head (we keep wondering why so many people were using poultry as hats).
The Minnesota Department of Transportation website may be found here. Most vehicle issues are handled by Minnesota’s Department of Public Safety, which may be found here.
Vehicle registrations are conducted in person at any of Minnesota’s 174 Motor Vehicle Deputy Registrar Offices, a full listing of which may be found here.
New residents must transfer their registrations within 60 days of becoming a Minnesota resident. Registration fees and taxes are based on the age of a vehicle; a chart explaining the rates may be found here.
There are over 30,000 DUI convictions in Minnesota each year. While IIDs are required for all offenders with a BAC of .16 or greater, legislation is being proposed that would required the interlock devices for all offenders, regardless of BAC levels.
If you are convicted of a DUI in Minnesota, you can face the following penalties:
- up to 90 days in jail
- fines of up to $1,000
- license suspension of up to 90 days
- installation of an ignition interlock device.
More information can be found here.
The Bottom Line
Minnesota is the land of Pronto Pups, cheese curds, The Mighty Ducks, Lake Wobegon, and all-around friendly people. “Minnesota nice” is a stereotype for a reason!
Whether you live in the Twin Cities, or elsewhere in the state, auto insurance rates can vary a great deal, so we recommend having a licensed professional review your policy at least twice a year. If you are in the market, give us a call or, if you prefer local help, check out one of our city pages below.
We Have Your State Covered!
Average Annual Premiums in Minnesota = $1,264 | via Insure.com
Have questions about auto insurance in your state? Want a quote for car insurance?
Start with your zipcode for a fast, free quote.
OR speak to an agent:
Local Minnesota agencies we can beat in price.
7091 Highway 65 NE Suite 211
Fridley, MN 55432
1075 Hadley Ave Ste 102
Oakdale, MN 55128
704 W 4th St
St Paul, MN 55101
1334 Helmo Ave N
St Paul, MN 55128
2214 Central Ave NE
Minneapolis, MN 55418